Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Please help! Accidentally submitted a Non-Filer form

@Joheat55 

Unknown ... if you did not need to file a return  to get the check ... it was to be DD to the same bank account that the SSI goes to... so if you filed a non filer return and did not enter DD info your guess is as good as mine ... they may DD or they may mail it ... check the GET MY PAYMENT tool once a day :  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Thank you.

By the way, the page where "get my payment" is has changed some wording.

It did say that SSI and VA information wasn't in its app yet.

They've removed that notation.

So, to me, that means everyone on any type of social security has their info in there.

Yet it tells me my status is unavailable still.

It says either cuz they don't have enough info, I'm putting in wrong info,  or I'm not eligible.

I'm eligible. Right info I'm putting.

I am eligible

Did anyone check their IRS transcript; as I filed non-filer it's showing my details with income as zero. 

I spoke to one CPA I know;  based on the transcript data  he suggested to file a paper based amended return.

What do I do if I wasn't suppose to file period but was trying to update banking info. Was following the instruction but information was from a SSA-1099

Filing a zero income return when it is not needed  will not affect anything. 

But it keeps emailing for a TIN that 1 don't  have

october96

I just figured this out today too but when I tried to file my taxes after it still did not work. Did it let you file your taxes after?

Unfortunately there is no speedy remedy for this. Nor is there a mechanism for “reversing” the mistake... nor “RE-setting” the e-file system so you can file again from the beginning the correct way.... nor “over-riding” the initial mistaken filing and “starting over”... sorry. 

Several of us in this thread tried several different ways to “RE-set, delete, start over”, etc. None of our attempts were successful. 

It seems that the only remedy to file a 2019 tax return at this point is to mail in a paper return. 

After using the e-file system (non-filers tool) whether correctly or mistakenly, you are then “locked out” of e-file for any possibility of retracting or amending what was already submitted.

Some people in this thread say to file a 1040X paper amendment form along with your correct paper 1040. 

Other people say to add a 2 sentence cover letter with your paper 1040 explaining the mistake you made by filing as a non-filer. 

There is no guidance on this specific scenario from the IRS. So everyone in this thread is kinda just guessing. 

It’s likely that any of these suggestions will be fine because when the IRS receives your paper 1040, they will see that the system already shows you as a non-filer.... but the signed paper 1040 should over ride the digital non-filer status.

This requires common sense on the part of the IRS. It should be obvious to the IRS what happened. It seems that tens of thousands of people have made this same mistake. Does the IRS understand what “obvious” and “common sense” are? I suppose we will all find out in July or August when our paper 1040s get accepted or rejected. 

I sent in my paper 1040 over 6 weeks ago and they still haven’t officially “received” it yet. And THIS point is probably what most people in this thread are concerned about. 

“If I’m not able to reverse, delete, amend, or cancel my mistaken non-filer submission.... then when will I get my refund or Economic Stimulus Payment?”

In short .... nobody knows. We all need to send in paper 1040’s right now and wait and see. 

We do know this though... 

The IRS won’t be processing paper 1040s until July 15th because of delays due to COVID-19. This is the same day that they are due. Extended from April 15th. (Latest info that I know of. This may have changed.)

Any anticipated monetary returns owed to individuals may not come until July or August..... and theoretically, maybe even later. Nobody really knows because we don’t know how quickly the IRS will be able to process through all  the paper return back log. 

If you filed as a non-filer by mistake, your Economic Stimulus Payment will be processed and paid in accordance with the schedule I posted previously in this thread about a month back. It depends upon your 2018 return, and your 2018 income. It’s staggered based on GAI. Lower income earners earlier and higher income earners later. 

No, you can't file, because the non-filers form is a short version of your TAX return, therefore doing it IS filing for 2019.

If you must file, you have to amend the tax return you did on non-filers.

You can do a regular tax form and write a note at top of form or a cover letter that you are amending the earlier efile taxes you sent in via the "non-filers" tool.

According to the IRS you will need to amend ... there have been no new instructions issued yet to include an exception to the standing regulations for taxpayers who filed a "stimulus registration" return by mistake.  See tax topic 308 : https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308

If you discover an error after filing your return, you may need to amend your return. The IRS may correct mathematical or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules. In these instances, there's no need to amend your return. However, do file an amended return if there's a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits. Use Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF) to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (PDF)Form 1040A (PDF)Form 1040EZ (PDF)Form 1040-NR (PDF)Form 1040-NR-EZ (PDF), or to change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS. 

Did Anybody  fix this by mailing the return?I have the same issue and mailed my tax return 40 days ago and still nothing!!

The IRS says to check back in 6 weeks (42 days) and they should have received and accepted a paper return by then. 

You’ve waited 6 weeks. 

I have waited 6 weeks also. 

I have used both the IRS web site and the IRS app to try and verify receipt of my paper return. 

Each attempt says that the data I’m entering (they ask for the anticipated return dollar amount to verify identity) is incorrect. (could not be verified)

Im entering the correct numbers. So this tells me they haven’t received? Accepted? Processed? Reconciled? my paper return yet and my account is still showing my mistaken $1 non filer return as the latest they have. 

Im in the same situation as you. 

Nothing to do but wait I guess. 

I presume the typical 6 week processing time is longer because of COVID. How much longer? Unknowable. 

If you mailed in a form 1040  AFTER filing a stimulus registration return then it may or may not be accepted for processing  as an amended return ... there have been no information released by the IRS on this subject. 

The proper way to file was to mail in an amended return form 1040X which under normal times takes as long as 4 months to process however since the IRS didn't open any mail for 10 weeks you can add another 2-3 months to the process meaning Thanksgiving at best. 

There may be no way to track these returns thru the system since they are not original returns or amended returns so the IRS tools may be useless.  All anyone can do is wait until the IRS has time to sort all of this out.  

crs0417

I tried to start over the non filer, then sent out my efile tax return, it can not work out, IRS still rejected it, How could I do? Anyone can give me a hand? Thanks a lot!

crs0417

It can not work out to start over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies