Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Please explain "Stock Block" on Form 7203.

I have read all of the instructions for Form 7203, but cannot find anything that explains what I am supposed to fill in the "stock block" section at the beginning of Form 7203.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If you acquired your S-Corporation shares at different times or at different prices, you will have more than on stock block. Identify each separate block of stock.

Stock block. When a shareholder has a different basis in different blocks of stock, pass-through items are generally allocated pro rata to all shares, regardless of their different bases. If there is a partial stock sale or partial redemption, you may file more than one form and provide a description of what period the form covers. See Regulations section 1.1367-1(b)(2) and (c)(3) for details.

Instructions for Form 7203

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So what do you put in there if you only 100 shares, since day 1?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You will enter "1" for the stock block if you have only purchased 1 block of stocks.  A stock block refers to the group of stocks you purchase each time.  For instance, if you purchase 100 shares on day 1 then purchase 100 more on day 200, you have 2 stock blocks.

@Rlc54326666

Thank you!!!!

What if you have had your stock over 10 years and you did NOT purchase any new stock?

What if you have the same number of stocks as when the S-Corp started, 10 years ago, and have NOT purchased any stock since then?

Do I still need to enter a stock block number if all my shares were purchased when the business started back in 2003?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you have only invested in or purchased stock 1 time, then your stock block is the first block and should be identified as Stock Block #1.  The only reason you would have  more than one stock block, is if you had another transaction which resulted in you having more stock.  If you had 2 more transactions that gained you more stock then you would have 3 stock blocks in total.

Since you are reporting you only gained stock from the initial purchase or investment, then your stock block is #1.

@1stenger

@Idaho9

So then the stock basis at the beginning of the year is 1 or zero. Zero since I did not acquire more stock?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, your basis at the beginning of year one would be zero. You don't have basis until you purchase stock. Just to be clear, basis is in dollars, not in shares.

ok, I have not purchased any stock since given the shares in the partnership 15+ years ago. I did not purchase any since then, so is my stock block 1 or zero?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Since your beginning shares of stock that were awarded are your beginning basis, you will treat this as Stock Block 0.  

@1stenger

@AliciaP1 So in future years do we continue to mark block 1 or would it revert to block 0 since we already are recording on block 1 this year? Would my husband's also be considered stock block 1? We are joint partners in the S-Corp.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Remember you do not need to file this every year. You will file if during the tax year if you:

• Are claiming a deduction for their share of an aggregate loss from an S corporation (including an aggregate loss not allowed last year because of basis limitations), 
  • Received a non-dividend distribution from an S corporation,
  • Disposed of stock in an S corporation (whether or not gain is recognized), or
  • Received a loan repayment from an S corporation.

If you need to file in future tax years and if you haven't purchased any shares of stock, then this would be a Stock Block 0.

As far as your husband's reporting requirements, if you received a K1 issued in both your names or the name of your business, you would report Stock Block 1 as one total since you are reporting one 7203 issued in both your names or your business name. you would not create separate 7203's.

@Idaho9

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies