Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

I am able and willing to opt-in for the E-file PIN online. However, I move in one month. I am unsure if I should wait to opt-in until after I move.

1. If I opt-in now online, how long does it take to get my PIN in the mail (presuming the PIN comes in the mail)?

2. If I move first in a month, and then opt-in, do I need to file a 8822 change of address first?

Thanks,

Matt

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

Opt-In for E-file PIN

The IP Pin is mailed in January.

Do not signup unless you have evidence of actual serious  identity theft.

As afar as I can see, once on the list, there is no way off it.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

Once you move you should file the 8822 ASAP  so any mail from the IRS can find you.  Also put in a change of address with the post office.  

Opt-In for E-file PIN

But should I opt-in to the e-file PIN before or after I move? I move 10/21/2020. If I file Form 8822 on 10/21/2020, then how long do I wait to file the e-file PIN? I'd like to use the e-file PIN for TY 2020.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

And I'd apply for the e-file PIN online. Not sure if that means I'd get it right away, or the IRS would still snail mail it...which is why it would possibly loop into the address change.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

@Mattman wrote:

And I'd apply for the e-file PIN online. Not sure if that means I'd get it right away, or the IRS would still snail mail it...which is why it would possibly loop into the address change.

Do not call it an "efile PIN".  That's a different kind of PIN that was discontinued a few years ago, and the term can confuse folks.   It is an "IP PIN".  I opted-in and got the IP PIN immediately at the end of my online session at the IRS website.  Since I voluntarily opted in, I don't get an annual CP01A letter with the IP PIN.  Instead I retrieve it each year with the IRS IP PIN Retrieval Tool.  The online process is a lot faster in subsequent years--just logging in to the Retrieval Tool, then 2-3 steps since one already has set up a verified IRS account.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

@ Mattman   You wrote:  "I'd like to use the e-file PIN for TY 2020."

So does that mean you are referring to your 2021 return that you will prepare next year?

If you get an IP PIN now, it will only be for any returns filed during this calendar year.   To file your 2020 return next year in 2021, you'll need a new IP PIN for calendar year 2021.    Getting one now does, however, prevent someone else from trying to efile a return now with your personal info, but you'll need a new one in January 2021.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

I've already filed for TY 2019 without any problems. What I was trying to do was get the PIN for when I e-file for tax year 2020, which would occur likely in Jan 2021 or Feb 2021 - if this fraudster doesn't beat me to it first. 

Now that 2020 is the first year I noticed fraud under my social, per the fraudulent SBA loan opened in July 2020 under my social, I am concerned his next step is to file a fraudulent tax return for tax year 2020. 

Opt-In for E-file PIN

IRS no longer gives out five digit e-file PINs.

If and only if you choose a five digit PIN for next year when you e-FILE you can use that PIN next year, if you don't lose it

Opt-In for E-file PIN

@Mattman wrote:

I've already filed for TY 2019 without any problems. What I was trying to do was get the PIN for when I e-file for tax year 2020, which would occur likely in Jan 2021 or Feb 2021 - if this fraudster doesn't beat me to it first. 

Now that 2020 is the first year I noticed fraud under my social, per the fraudulent SBA loan opened in July 2020 under my social, I am concerned his next step is to file a fraudulent tax return for tax year 2020. 

Any IP PIN you get now only protects you for any returns filed during calendar year 2020.   You will need a new IP PIN in January 2021 to file your tax year 2020 return next year.

So there is an advantage of getting one now.  An IP PIN now does essentially "lock up" your IRS account and permanently requires that any return filed in your name the rest of this year or any future years use an IP PIN.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

Ok, well if I get the online PIN right now, then will the new PIN in Jan come via snail mail? I am moving 10/21, and I'm still not sure how to do the logistics of notifying the IRS of my move. I can file 8822 on 10/21, but IDK how long it takes that process?

Opt-In for E-file PIN

Information provided by the previous commentor is that if you already have a verified IRS online account, you will get your IP pin online as soon as you sign up.  The trick then is to get a verified IRS online account. If you already have one, no problem. If you don’t have a verified IRS online account, the sign-up process offers two or three different methods to verify your identity.  

One method involves answering questions from your credit report. Another method involves the IRS sending an automated message to your cell phone based on records provided by the cell phone company. However, these methods don’t always work for everyone. The third way to verify your identity to get an online account is for the IRS to mail a verification code to your address of record. This should take 5 to 10 days, and is probably automatic and not affected by Covid delays, although I don’t think there’s any way to know for sure until you try it.  

If you have a verified IRS online account, it sounds like you can get your IP pin immediately. If you don’t have a verified online account, then you are probably safe in opening the account now even though it might take 10 days to get your activation code by mail.  

If you wait until you move, you will need to file the IRS change of address form and then you will have to wait an additional length of time for it to be processed and input into the computers before you could open your online account using mail in verification. And we don’t really know how long it is taking the IRS to process those kinds of forms, except that they are probably backlogged on everything.  I don’t work for the IRS, but I suggest that the smoothest way to get an IP pin if you don’t have an IRS online account, is to apply for the account now so that if a verification code is needed, it can be mailed to your current address before you move.  Then use the online account to opt into the IP pin.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

so it looks like the IRS needs to access my credit report but it's frozen. I don't see any other ways. It tells you there are other ways, and then takes me to a screen that talks about compatibility issues. So do you have the URL perhaps for how to sign up using the mailing method?

Opt-In for E-file PIN

I don't want to have to unfreeze my credit reports at all.

Opt-In for E-file PIN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies