turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stefanie22
Returning Member

One W2, two companies under PEO with two lines for Box 15-17

I'm getting an error that I can't file electronically because I have two entries from the same state in box 15. I tried to prepare manually instead, but only the first line pulls into the return and I don't have the option to enter a second line within the same W2 info. It only lets me report half my state returns.

The PEO assured me this was correct and will not issue separate W-2s.

Could someone please let me know how I am supposed to file this? Can TurboTax handle this scenario?

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Listing more than one state and breaking down the income between the 2 states is normal ... listing the same state twice is not.  So if you add up the state income on the 2 separate lines and they equal box 1 of the W-2  then simply combine the amounts in the program ... that should fix your error warning.

Stefanie22
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense for the total values, but how do I handle the two separate employer state codes? They are truly two separate companies, under one PEO. I received different income from each one. 

Same problem here, 2 companies with two CA state EINs showing up in Box 15, one FEIN in b for the PEO because I had 2 employers that both used TriNet as PEO.

I bought the State E-file immediately before hitting this "You can't e-file because you have 2 entries with the same state in Box 15" blocker.  What is in the boxes matches the W-2 & the PEO tells me they can't send 2 W-2s because it's the same FEIN.

LindaS5247
Employee Tax Expert

You can not have two entries in that box.  Have you tried what Critter-3 suggests above and add them together?

"Listing more than one state and breaking down the income between the 2 states is normal ... listing the same state twice is not.  So if you add up the state income on the 2 separate lines and they equal box 1 of the W-2  then simply combine the amounts in the program ... that should fix your error warning."

You have one W-2, two CA state EINs, and two entries in box 15?

If this does not help please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional details regarding your situation or additional questions or click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  You can connect with a Live TurboTax Agent and share your screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just successfully filed using that, fingers crossed. Will update on the hijinks. 

Fed & State returns accepted & refunds received.  Call it a win! (...so far...they have years to change their minds.)

ets1

i have exactly the same issue as this user described with Trinet and 2 employers in the same state.  
wondering how did you determine which state ID# to use when you have 2 employers on your w-2 once you combine them.  Trinet also stated their w-2 was reported correctly to me.
doesn't the IRS systems automatically scan w-2 for exact match on what you reported vs what the employers reports to the IRS?   I understand you combined the totals so the grand total is equal to box 1, but I guess the IRS doesn't care as long as the grand total $matches and not the individual boxes like 15-17.
Thanks,
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies