turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On Windows 10, TurboTax 2019 - Updater gets stuck on "Waiting for the installer service"

I'm unable to do any updates or install my state.

When killing "msiexec.exe" from task manager, it gets past that message, but the updater just exits without installing anything.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

112 Replies
Dub

On Windows 10, TurboTax 2019 - Updater gets stuck on "Waiting for the installer service"

I've got the same problem with no solution as of yet. The program updates download OK but can't seem to get past the installer service problem. Does anyone have a solution for this? Anyone? Intuit? Bueller?

MD4

Same problem with both "critical" program updates and trying to Download my State.  Both either hangup on the waiting for installer service or might show download screen and then just leaves altogether.  Tried turning off my antivirus and malware programs  but made no difference.

@MD4 wrote:

Same problem with both "critical" program updates and trying to Download my State.  Both either hangup on the waiting for installer service or might show download screen and then just leaves altogether.  Tried turning off my antivirus and malware programs  but made no difference.

Contact TurboTax support for this problem

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Carl
Level 15

The updater requires the .net framework stuff. If it's not present and current, it updates the .net framework in the background with absolutely no indication it's doing so. Therefore, give it 15-20 minutes. If after 30 minutes nothing happens, uninstall the TTX program and uninstall all versions of the .net framework.

Then run windows update over and over until no more updates are available. Then you can re-install the TTX program.

I have the same issue and TT support could not help. Actually, I had same issue about 2 weeks ago, tried the MS fixes TT support sent me, running sfc and a file fix. That DID work. But now the issue is back and those fixes DO NOT work now. I believe the TT program is causing the Windows installer service to lock up.  Also, I have installed TT on ANOTHER computer, with the same results. It MAY be a windows issue, but TT is creating the issue.

Same issue. Can't get anything started. Does anyone else feel helpless that TTX support isn't supporting much less advocating for the users with Microsoft? This is frustrating. Is there an alternative software besides filling out taxes by hand? We need a fix that works! (sorry for the venting, don't know what else to do.

Support link took me to the page where they profile you and sell you the "right" package. Contacted them during business hours. What now?

@Haolehilobro wrote:

Support link took me to the page where they profile you and sell you the "right" package. Contacted them during business hours. What now?

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

On the contact website Edit the product to CD/Download and the edition to Deluxe.  On the following screen enter your personal information and the problem details.  Then click on the blue button labeled Get Phone Number

That is the fastest way to get connected to a support agent.

Not working for me. Always takes me to the "sell" page when I sign in. If I don't sign in, then it takes me to a generic blog. For a company called intuit, this is far from intuitive. What now? Can I just speak to a human?

@Haolehilobro wrote:

Not working for me. Always takes me to the "sell" page when I sign in. If I don't sign in, then it takes me to a generic blog. For a company called intuit, this is far from intuitive. What now? Can I just speak to a human?

Then use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

HOPELESS recycling of" waiting for the installer service"   in spite of attempts to unistall and reinstall the program, restart the computer,  download the program, install with security software off ...  This is impossible.  There is no accessible support person, only tomes of old commenters with similar issues. 

Same problem. I get to the 2019 Turbo Tax Updater screen that shows less than 2 minutes to completion, but download doesn't complete, and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of the screen.  Can't download the State Tax Program either. I have completed all Windows 10 updates and tried uninstalling and reinstalling Turbo Tax, shut down the anti-virus software, all to no avail. I spent 2 hours on the phone with their tech support and nothing worked. They say that their IT Department is working on a fix and they will send out a patch. We'll see, Frustrating!

Resolved the problem.  I downloaded the updated manually.  Download the update file and double click it to run.  Once I got the manual update to work everything worked fine.

Get the manual updates here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

Thanks. It seems to have updated Federal program. However, I haven't been able to download the NYS Tax program. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies