Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keepitkln

On my w-2 should box 1,3,5 all be the same $ amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you don't have any pretax deductions from your wages like a 401k, then they should be the same. If you have a pretax deduction, box 1 will be lower than boxes 3 & 5.
CVI

what if you have pretax health and supplemental insurance?  Should the boxes still be the same? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Certain tax-advantaged items such as employer HSA contributions and health insurance premiums are removed from boxes 1, 3, and 5 on the W-2 before it is even printed, because they are not subject to either federal income tax, Social Security tax, nor Medicare tax. You cannot tell by looking at the W-2 if the employer removed these items, so you have to ask your payroll department or HR department.

Of course, you may notice that health insurance premiums can be found in box 12 with a code of DD and that HSA contributions are found in box 12 with a code of W, but even if you see these items, you still can't be sure that they were removed from boxes 1, 3, and 5 without asking.

On the other hand, as noted above, other tax advantage items are not subject to federal income tax but are subject to SS and Medicare taxes. A very common example is the 401(k). In this case, the amount in box 1 will be smaller than the amounts in boxes 3 and 5 by the amount of the contribution to the 401(k). Note that this contribution will also be listed in box 12 with a code of D.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies