turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On M1M it is including a child who is not in K-12, yet it wants me to enter a grade for him. He's not in elementary school and when I enter not in K-12 it doesn't help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

On M1M it is including a child who is not in K-12, yet it wants me to enter a grade for him. He's not in elementary school and when I enter not in K-12 it doesn't help?

Yes, you are correct. Your son should not be included in this credit and there is a way to remove him from this list.

Please check the drop down menu at the beginning of the interview for your 19 year old that is in college. In the drop down menu, above Kindergarten, there should be an option listed "Not in K-12."

If you are not seeing this, then the state needs to be re-done so that you can see this option to exclude him from the K-12 credit. The easiest way to do this is to delete and re-add the state as listed above.

However, if there are additional details you would like to preserve, you could try to delete the M1M and any related worksheets.

To do this in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Tax Tools>
  • Tools>
  • Delete a form
  • Scroll to Form M1M in the Minnesota section, click delete and confirm the decision
    • Look for any related education credit worksheets and delete them as well

• Sign out and close out of the browser completely. 
  • Wait a minute
  • Sign in using an Incognito Chrome Browser window 

Please tag me here with @ and my username, KathrynG3, if the results are still not as expected. 

@LAgudo

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Are you trying to claim education expenses? What are you trying to include or adjust on the Minnesota state return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am trying to claim education expenses, but not for this child.  I have four other children in school and claimed their educational expenses. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. Even though this is a credit for K-12 expenses, page 18 of the 2019 Minnesota Individual Income Tax Form M1 Instructions state: A qualifying child is the same as for the federal earned income credit. I recommend entering $0 for the child who is not yet in Kindergarten.

Click the link for who is a Qualifying Child for the Earned Income Credit from the 2019 Publication 596 Earned income Credit (EIC) page 10, which is also shown below.

@andreajwelter

I have tried leaving this blank as well as putting 0 in and nothing works it keeps asking for the grade.  This is bizarre to me as I have never had an issue with this part of the form before.  I looked at my return for last year and he isn't on that part of it just like my youngest isn't.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. I recommend checking the birthdate entered in the My Info section to confirm the age of your pre Kindergarten child. 

When I go go to this entry area for Minnesota, from the top of the drop down, I see an option above Kindergarten for Not in K-12. 

If you are not seeing that, then I recommend deleting and re-adding the state.

In TurboTax Online:

• From the left menu select State>
  • Continue>next to your state, click the Trash Can icon and follow through the rest of the questions ending with Done

In TurboTax CD/Download:

• From the main menu, click File
  • Scroll down and select Remove a State
  • Follow the prompts in the window that opens and confirm the deletion

@andreajwelter

LAgudo
Returning Member

Im having a similar error. It gives error sxhedule M1M and says I must enter grade for 19 year old thats in college. I try to delete him from the form but it doesnt let me edit. How can i delete him from the M1M form and leave my other children. All are under 19 but the 19 year old is in college. I put his schools tax information but in state it automatically put him in the M1M form even tho i put $0 for his expenses on the state question for expenses for him. How can I take him off the state M1M form? Thank you.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct. Your son should not be included in this credit and there is a way to remove him from this list.

Please check the drop down menu at the beginning of the interview for your 19 year old that is in college. In the drop down menu, above Kindergarten, there should be an option listed "Not in K-12."

If you are not seeing this, then the state needs to be re-done so that you can see this option to exclude him from the K-12 credit. The easiest way to do this is to delete and re-add the state as listed above.

However, if there are additional details you would like to preserve, you could try to delete the M1M and any related worksheets.

To do this in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Tax Tools>
  • Tools>
  • Delete a form
  • Scroll to Form M1M in the Minnesota section, click delete and confirm the decision
    • Look for any related education credit worksheets and delete them as well

• Sign out and close out of the browser completely. 
  • Wait a minute
  • Sign in using an Incognito Chrome Browser window 

Please tag me here with @ and my username, KathrynG3, if the results are still not as expected. 

@LAgudo

Oh my goodness, you are amazing!  Thank you so much, this totally worked!  I am so completely grateful right now I could hug you!

Social distancing of course!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies