turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

I am a 23 year old who works full time but I still live at home. Am I eligible for the $1,200 stimulus check if I can still be claimed and on my parents health insurance?

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Your health insurance has nothing to do with your stimulus payment eligibility.  If you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you are not eligible.  If you work full time and are not a student, then you probably aren't eligible to be claimed by someone else, which means you will get a stimulus payment.  If you were claimed as a dependent for 2018 and you haven't yet filed 2019 indicating that no one else can claim you, you will probably not receive a payment until you file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vucci
Returning Member

Let me get the facts straight: I was unemployed 2018 and 2019 but I believed my parents claimed me as a dependent.  Since I was unemployed I did not file a tax form for 2018 and 2019. 

Am I still eligible for the stimulus check? And for safety measure, I just file a free turbo tax federal and state so they have my info and address on file.  

What is my best course of action to be eligible for the stimulus check?  Thank you for taking your time to read this. 

Ok ... if you were claimed as a dependent you will NOT get the check NOW ... if you work in 2020 and you are not a dependent then you MAY get it on the 2020 return.  

Not sure how you could efile a zero income return ... but if you did and you were already claimed then expect the return to be rejected.  

vucci
Returning Member

It's zero income because I was unemployed 2018 and 2019.  So I have no source of income to be taxed in the first place. 

Also I read somewhere it's good to file my taxes anyways because now the IRS have my address on file so that I can receive the stimulus check.  I also verified with my parents they never claim me as a dependent so that's another good news. 

Going forward should I mail in my tax return with 0 income? And have my address on file for the stimulus check?  Thank you

Lurrch

My mother (61) adopted 2 special needs boys a while back and her only income is the adoption money she gets.  She doesn't file because this isn't taxable money.  How can she be sure to get a stimulus check?

Wondering about the same thing that vucci was talking about.

My brother was unemployed the last 2 years, not a dependent, and would file a zero income tax return.

Should he still put the paperwork together using TurboTax and mail it in (since E-file wouldn't work) for a chance at a stimulus check?

(He's not on unemployment or SS)

Will I have any trouble getting my stimulus check? I filed 2018 and, I think 2017 as well, with TurboTax, and entered my Direct Deposit info on the return. However, the IRS has been keeping whatever refund I am owed to pay on student loan, which will hopefully be paid off in the next year or so, only owe between 3-4k now. Will they still have my banking info on file for purposes of receiving my $1,200 stimulus payment, or will I need to go input that on the IRS site, once they have that up and running?

The stimulus check will not be taken for student loans. 

@DavidD66 The IRS changed its position on non-filing Social Security & railroad retirement recipients yesterday. As intended by Congress, those recipients will NOT have to file a 2018 or 2019 return to get a check automatically. The IRS will use information from its copy of their 2019 SSA-1099 or RRB-1099, along with direct deposit info from SSA or RRB, to send their payments automatically.

AJ42
Level 1

@DavidD66 can you help me out? I have SSI (I know it's not Social Security.) 

Therefore to be on the safe side I ''Want-- to file taxes, my question is how do I file it through TurboTax?

I can only file it if it says "attach copy of 2019 form ssa-1099"?

Thank you.

If there is no way to do it through TurboTax do you know any other free or even low cost how I can do it?

No, I understand that, I am just wondering, since I never actually got a direct deposit due to them keeping my refund, will they have my direct deposit info on file?  Even though they withheld my check, the info WAS on my return.  I don't want to suddenly find out mine is being sent through the mail because of that.

nlanci17

If we efiled through Turbo Tax and received a refund this year, will the IRS have OUR direct deposit info or the 3rd party they use to take the fees out.  Turbo tax refunds get run through another bank before it gets to use so how will the IRS know who's account info to send the payment to?  

Maybe ... details still to come if you used the refund processing option to have the TT fees withheld from the fed refund  ...  https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

SO look at your 2019 form 1040 at the DD info on page 2 ... if that is the same DD info for the Debit card (or your personal account)   you have then the IRS already has the card info and will send it there automatically.  

If not then it is still to be determined if the deposit will go thru the third party processing bank like the original refund  OR  if you will need to change that DD info in the IRS portal to be built  OR  just get a check. 

How will the IRS know where to send my payment?

The vast majority of people do not need to take any action. The IRS will calculate and automatically send the economic impact payment to those eligible.

For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount. For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment. The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed.

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Patience will be needed while hard working folks are trying their best to develop and implement  this distribution DURING a tax season AND a pandemic.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies