Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Not eligible to e-file"

Jan 29, 2024  Just tried to file my 2023 federal taxes electronically, used TurboTax Home & Business, with a Schedule C.  Passes all error checks.  But when I try to file get error message "This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed, usually because of tax regulations, so you'll need to print and file by mail.  For more details, select the Review Tab, above, and continue through final review."  But review tab shows all okay.  Only difference for 2023 was I donated a vehicle to charity and so TT had me complete Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats and Airplanes."  But no impact on federal, since I was still better off taking standard deduction.  Helps with state (California) where I am better off itemizing.  No errors on any form are indicating.  Why can't I e-file??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"Not eligible to e-file"

A lot of people are having trouble efiling with a Schedule C.  TurboTax is aware of the problem.  See if anything changes after their routine weekly software update which normally occurs overnight on early Thursday mornings.

View solution in original post

"Not eligible to e-file"

@gonzsal wrote:

Hello and I am having the same issue where it tells me that cannot efile my brothers tax returns.  Turbo =Tax shows that I cannot efile since there are some schedules prevent me from efiling.  I have efiled these returns before with no problems.  I tried to eliminate all the schedules that are not being used but appear in the forms module.   Eliminating some schedules did not help at all.  I guess I have to file by mail.  Unless someone can come up with a solution as to how bypass this block.  

Only file by mail as a last resort.  That can delay processing of your return by weeks.  There is no hurry to efile this early in the season when tax software often has some bugs to work out.

There is a known problem with folks who are filing Schedule C (or in some cases Schedule F).   Just wait a few days while TurboTax is working on it.    It should be fixed at some point in a software update. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

"Not eligible to e-file"

A lot of people are having trouble efiling with a Schedule C.  TurboTax is aware of the problem.  See if anything changes after their routine weekly software update which normally occurs overnight on early Thursday mornings.

"Not eligible to e-file"

Thanks!  Will give that a try.

"Not eligible to e-file"

@ dane1234 

EDITED 1/29/2024 at 3:55 PM Pacific

If the Schedule C if not the problem, it could be the Form 1098-C and the fact that that 1098-C form flows to Form 8283 (Non-cash Charitable Contributions), which is not yet ready.  It is projected to become available on 2/07/2024, at least for a Federal return.  See the table linked below.

Forms Availability Table

"Not eligible to e-file"

@ dane1234 

I revised my comment above concerning your 1098-C when I noticed in the forms table (link given above) that the Form 8283 for Federal returns doesn't become available until 2/07/2024.  Even though you said you are taking the standard deduction, it may still affect the way it flows to your California return, and thus the roadblock until the 8283 becomes available.   I don't know for sure, but just thinking out loud.  See my edited comment above.

"Not eligible to e-file"

Thanks, very helpful into.  Can afford to wait until Feb 7 and see what happens.

"Not eligible to e-file"

Hello and I am having the same issue where it tells me that cannot efile my brothers tax returns.  Turbo =Tax shows that I cannot efile since there are some schedules prevent me from efiling.  I have efiled these returns before with no problems.  I tried to eliminate all the schedules that are not being used but appear in the forms module.   Eliminating some schedules did not help at all.  I guess I have to file by mail.  Unless someone can come up with a solution as to how bypass this block.  

"Not eligible to e-file"

I guess that is the problem with my brother's return. He uses Schedule C to report his income and expenses.  Perhaps Turbo Tax can find the solution.  

"Not eligible to e-file"

I am getting the same error for e file, and nothing has changed in my info from prior years.

"Not eligible to e-file"

@gonzsal wrote:

Only file by mail as a last resort.  That can delay processing of your return by weeks.  There is no hurry to efile this early in the season when tax software often has some bugs to work out.

There is a known problem with folks who are filing Schedule C (or in some cases Schedule F).   Just wait a few days while TurboTax is working on it.    It should be fixed at some point in a software update. 

"Not eligible to e-file"

I was able to delete my Schedule C because I no longer use it.  That fixed my efile problem.  You may need to wait for fix if you  need to file Schedule C.

DAVID254

"Not eligible to e-file"

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE HOPEFULLY ITS UPDATED READY THURSDAY. THANKS

"Not eligible to e-file"

1-31-2024:  TurboTax update this date applied and was then able to e-file federal and state (California) returns with a Schedule C.  So a two-day delay wasn't bad.  My thanks to all community members who posted, all of those posts were most helpful, since this was the first time I had gotten a "not eligible to e-file" error message.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

"Not eligible to e-file"

This has been resolved. Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and reopen TurboTax.  Make sure you have ran all updates. 

@MaryG80 

@gonzsal 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies