Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

North Carolina extention paid not showing up on tax return.

For some reason - even though I have entered the information - it is not transfering on to my North Carolina tax return.

This is what I did:

Federal Taxes

Deductions and Credits

Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Income Taxes Paid

Payments with 2023 State Extention

Scrolled to North Carolina and entered the amount.

What am I doing wrong??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Can you enter the payment in the state section of the program?

@SteamTrain ??

Where do I even do that?

Which version of TurboTax are you using? An online version or desktop version?

If online, did you purchase NC state?

Desktop, and yes I purchsed NC state

Do you should see a State Taxes tab in the program?

Yes.

I had originally done my taxes back in March, but never actually filed then, only printed.  

I filed extentions.

Now - I need to add the amount that I paid to NC via the extention.

I also discoved another addition mistake that I needed to fix.

None of the changes that I made are transfering over.

Any Ideas?

I had no problem entering the extension payment in the Federal section (desktop Windows software), and the software had it applied to NC.

A couple thoughts though.   

1)  A software update was issued this week.  Don't know if that has an effect, but make sure you update (mine is updated and worked just fine)

2) If you used TTX software in this exact same tax file, to submit your NC extension, and payment, it might already be accounted for.   Switch to "Forms Mode".  Look for and open the Federal "Tax Payments" worksheet.  Check on line 22  9 to see if your NC extension payment is there.  IF not, go ahead and enter it on that line of the worksheet AND, make sure you have selected NC as the state.

3) if you have filed and paid extension $$ for more than one state...come back and let us know, because special steps are required that differ from #2 above

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Also, run thru the NC interview again, from start to finish, and the NC error check.  Sometimes that will initiate a data transfer of some changed values.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@bhoward1963 

WHOA...WAIT!  Line 22 is the wrong line for the 2023 state extension on the Federal Tax Payments worksheet.

Line 9 is correct   (Need to edit the above)

Line 22 was  wrong, and line 21 was for extensions payments done in 2023 for 2022 taxes and also not what we are doing here.  (trying to run thru things too fast)

Here is what is weird.  If I go to Tools/Print Center and look at it - it is correct.  If I go toTax Home and look at the returns from that page - it is not correct.

@bhoward1963 

@bhoward1963 wrote:

Desktop, and yes I purchsed NC state

"Tools/Print Center"  and  "Tax Home" ?

That is NOT Desktop software...that is the "Online" software....thru a browser access.

Desktop is actually installed on your computer, and not accessed with a browser.

Really, which did you use?

I am sorry - I was confused.  It is online software that I access through my laptop.

OK, but really can't know what the issue is there.  "Online" is more difficult to troubleshoot.

Get into the NC section of the interview.

Find the "Other Situations" section and go into it there  (in the NC interview, not the Federal)

Select the "File an Extension" section and go in there.

If you used that section to prepare/file your NC extension, it may already be filled out.  Just make sure that the extension payment you actually made at that time is properly filled in, with the exact $$ amount you paid.

If it's already there, then it should already be reflected in your NC tax return on line 21b of the NC form D-400.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies