turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-Filer Stimulus IND-511

My wife and I are separated (not a legal separation) and she filed her taxes as Married Filing Separately. 

I am on SSI and was told that I need to fill out the Non-Filer form. Which I did. 

But I was given a rejection with IND-511 attached. 

The only options shown are to file as single or jointly neither which are accurate. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you are on SSI and receive monthly direct deposits.  The IRS will use that account to deposit the stimulus check

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The only deposit I receive is on a direct express card. It has no routing number.

So do I need to fill out the non-filers form? I am on supplemental security income. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The non filer form is for people that do not file a tax return.

Your stimulus check will go to the bank listed on your tax return.

If you have your tax return it is listed on page 2 of your 1040 on lines 21 b & c

It is also noted at the top of the filing Instructions.

The IRS is preparing Websites to update information and check your filing status.

Please read what it says on the right hand side where it says “Filers: Get Your Payment”

Get Your Payment Status

I do not file a tax return. At all. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you receive SSI, you do not need to register, the stimulus payment will be paid to you the same way you receive your SSI benefits. 

The only time you would want to register as a non-filer is if you have dependent children. 

Link for SSI and stimulus checks

IRS non-filer link

Wait, but I was told because I have SUPPLEMENTAL and not SSDI or Social Security I had to use the non-filers form. 

So I don't have to use it? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This is correct since it isn't taxable income. Select https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/ link to stimulus registration (SR).  It is very important that you use the option that says register now if you don't need to file taxes this year.  Otherwise, you will not be able to E-file a zero return thus delaying recording your direct deposit information.  It also has the calculator.

I'm sorry I'm confused. When I try to use the tool I get told that it is rejected because my SSN was used on a return for married filing separately.  

I've already filled out the form twice and it was rejected both times. 

This is the message I get
"In order for your stimulus submission to be successful, please return to My Info and change your filing status to Married Filing Jointly. It will not impact your eligibility for the stimulus payment."

Even though we do not live together at all and have not all year and I am not a dependent.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Have you already filed a return as MFS? If you have, you do not need to do this twice because the information from your original return should suffice. 

My wife and I are separated. When she filed her takes she filed married filing separately. She put my name and SSN as that's what they told her to do. 

I do NOT have a return. I get SUPPLEMENTAL security income. I do not get direct deposit I do not have a bank account that is linked to my SSI. I get a payment loaded onto a Direct Express card it has no routing information. 

Again I do not file taxes I do not file a return my income is not taxable. It is not the same as SSDI or Social Security. 

I am not sure what is being misunderstood here. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Select https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/ link to stimulus registration (SR).  It is very important that you use the option that says register now if you don't need to file taxes this year.  Otherwise, you will not be able to E-file a zero return thus delaying recording your direct deposit information.  

Are you serious right now? 

Literally just explained that it DOESN'T WORK! Do you even read the posts? Or just copy/paste the exact same thing over and over?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to file a Married Filing Separate tax return using your SSI income.  Of course ultimately it will be a "zero" return but in order to register for a stimulus payment it must be completed.  You can start for free on TurboTax or use this link to connect to a Free File program.  

Hi I am in the exact situation as you and have a dependent. All efforts to enter my information or do anything has resulted in error code IND-511 therefore not allowing me to enter neither my or my daughter's information. Still no stimulus and no progress as of today. Do you have any answers that can help me? Thank you in advance! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies