Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my taxes without a IRS Pin? I never got one in the mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

49 Replies
KiaraE

No, If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you. However, this can take up to 21 days.

They told me to try my old pin from 2018 it didn’t work got rejected so I will be calling them tomorrow to send me my PIN number 😡😡😡

Hello, I do not know if you still need this Information, but I will leave this here for anyone else who may need this information. FYI I got this from the IRS website.

Paper Return:

• If you have an IP PIN, you’re the primary taxpayer, and you fail to enter your IP PIN correctly, your return will take longer to process while we validate the information. This increased validation is for your protection but it will delay any refund you may be due.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@elizabeth-rose12

No, if you are required to enter your IRS IP PIN, you won't be able to e-file. Even if you mail in your tax return, you have to enter it.

Here are some additional TurboTax FAQ about the IRS IP PIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've had same problem about a year ago. I had no Ip Pin and had Jackson Hewitt  mail my tax return. After that got my money sooner than I thought .No probs whatsoever.  Dont listen too everything people say cause most of the time it's not always correct. Everyone's case is different. 

How long it took to get it back and what did you have to do?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Here is a link on how to get an IRS issued 6-digit PIN and why you may need one or if you have forgotten/lost one. 

Also be sure of the PIN you are looking for.   If it is a 5-digit e-filing PIN, that is any 5-digit number you choose and enter in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Denenne50
Returning Member

how do I pay turbo for filing my federal that I need to mail out because I don't have in IP Pin.

markaw70

I was never mailed a PIN and I am meticulous about maintaining any correspondence with the IRS.  My 2019 tax return was rejected and I can't use the "Retrieve ID PIN", because I don't have any loans or credit cards except a mortgage.  I only bought my house 3 months ago and maybe that is why it doesn't recognize my mortgage account number.  They won't mail me another PIN because there is no one at the IRS to answer the phone.  I don't know what to do except try to mail it in which could take months to process.

Im having the exact same issue. It seems you have to mail it in, and theres no way around it unless you can retrieve it online. 

Im having the same problem. Apparently if you mail your return, it doesn't take all that long. and that is the only way around this. Can anyone confirm. 

I too am having this issue. Before shut down I went to the local IRS building and was told that the PIN is needed to file for safety -identity theft- to file. The thing is no matter how you file you will need this number. In my case I never got a letter from IRS Dec.2019 or Jan. 2020 so I haven't been able to file after rejection notice. To retrieve the PIN you go to the website which will lead you to a sign in or registration. I tried this-between entering my info the AGI required or PIN this did not work for me. It wont continue after or accept the info. So after trying to research and fill out forms the conclusion I have come to,because you cant call anyone is 2 options you can google search for an IPPIN reset form that could be mailed for faxed(process can be long). Or have someone file the taxes for free print them off and mail them in mind you because you need a PIN you have to include multiple forms of ID to be sure it is you -SSI card, DL ID, and or something photo copied to send in to the IRS with either option taken. I hope this helps as there is no other way around this until there is either a new link that helps reset the PIN because there is no other way but ti call or send in a request for if say you cant retrieve by form or login. Stay safe everyone.

I cannot get one mailed to me because I have moved. I cannot go to the library to print to mail in my taxes... what can I do???

Cburek_27

Are you able to call irs to get a new ip pin number??? Tried online but it keeps tring me information dont match there records 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies