turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095A or 1095B to complete 8962?

If I only have a 1095b and not a 1095a...Do I still need to complete the 8962 form and send it to IRS per their Letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

No, 1095-B is not entered into Form 8962.  Send your 1095-B to the IRS along with a letter explaining that you did not receive a 1095-A or premium tax credit that year and that Form 8962 was not required.  Indicate in the letter the months that you had coverage as shown on your 1095-B.  Also, include a copy of the IRS letter they sent you when you respond.  Keep copies of all for your records. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies
CathiM

No, 1095-B is not entered into Form 8962.  Send your 1095-B to the IRS along with a letter explaining that you did not receive a 1095-A or premium tax credit that year and that Form 8962 was not required.  Indicate in the letter the months that you had coverage as shown on your 1095-B.  Also, include a copy of the IRS letter they sent you when you respond.  Keep copies of all for your records. 

Thank You for the Help !!

You say send 1095b to IRS. Yet on the form 1095b is says do not send to IRS, and to save form my records. So why isn't the information placed in the forms that I filled out for IRS? This problem has been going on for a number of years now.

Okay I can make a copy and send. But that doesn't solve the problem that the information isn't being included in the actual tax forms. I find that very troubling. It makes me feel that the powers that be are out to destroy the VA Healthcare system. 

What happen if I intend to file electronically?  How to include a copy of the 1095B with my filing?

Just spoke with Turbo Tax support representative Imeisha.  She told me that we do not need to input or submit 1095A information if we had not received one.  The 1095B is for our own record and is not required to be mailed to the IRS.  The Federal Government does not need to have the information but each state has its own jurisdiction on the matter and it may be required for the state filing.  I hope this also would help.  I just wish Turbo Tax would have included this information in the "Help" section (perhaps they did but I was not able to find it).

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have health insurance through the Marketplace or a State Exchange you will or should receive a 1095-A.  1095-A's must to be entered so the Advanced Premium Tax Credit can be reconciled.

1095-B's and 1095-C's do not get entered.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. I cannot seem to get a 1095A anywhere. I was out of work for 6 months due to a medical emergency but I paid my insurance cost to my “old job” and they paid the insurance company so I could keep my same coverage. The only form UHC will give is. 1095B. Does this mean I can’t claim the 5 months I have to pay the insurance myself? Should I just do an amend at this point? It took me 10 months to hear back that I needed to submit the 8962 form.

@CB1632 If your health insurance was not though the marketplace (Obamacare) then you will not have a 1095A or a 8962, nor do you need one.  There is no need to enter a 1095B.

What do you mean by "claim the 5 months I have to pay the insurance company?"  Just because you paid it does not mean you have a 1095A.  You only get a 1095A if it was marketplace insurance.  What are you trying to do?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if I was out of work due to medical issues for 6 months and paid for my health insurance can I get money back for it ? My job was no longer covering 50% of my health insurance since I was not working so I had to pay the full 400 a month to my job to keep the insurance. 

My insurance wasn’t through the market place. 
I should prob file an addendum? I’m thinking at this point I’ll have someone fix my taxes. I’m at a loss with it all lol

you have a medical expense that is reported on schedule A.  for federal purposes you'll only benefit if your deductible medical expenses, those that exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income plus other itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction. if your state has an income tax and allows itemized deductions you might save some state taxes.  

Put this information into the software.  Currently, the most updated version (this morning), the search for 1095-b and 1095-c goes directly to 1095-a with no help or explanation for b or c.  Do better, please.

@beckileeprivett You do not enter a 1095b or 1095C at all.     You ONLY enter a 1095A.   If you did not receive a 1095A you say on that page that you did not receive a 1095A.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies