Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

News today TurboTax launched free online portal to help people who don't file taxes get stimulus check faster. Tried 2 days ago says I have to file by mail. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

News today TurboTax launched free online portal to help people who don't file taxes get stimulus check faster. Tried 2 days ago says I have to file by mail. What do I do?

@lococubano wrote:

I did not. So here's the situation two days ago I was reading up on how to ensure I get a stimulus check, at that time the information I found said that people that do not have to file because they did not make enough income have to send in a "simple tax return". I tried to do so through TurboTax and at the end of it was told i had to file by mail. Today this news about a new portal opening to set up direct deposit for thats that do not have to file taxes and now I am kinda stuck.

the page where you are meant to set up for direct deposit says: "we've sent your info to the IRS to process your stimulus payment" The thing is I never provided direct deposit information. Not sure what to do.

In this case go back to the website to Register, but this time when asked Do you have a TurboTax Online account? select NO.  Then you will have to create a new User ID to register.

View solution in original post

@Harden914  If you already filed your return,  the IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

----------------------------------

If you have not filed a return, or need to file a simple return to qualify for the Stimulus money, TurboTax setup where you can file a simple return for the stimulus money (if you are on Social Security or Disability, you do not have to file anything to get the stimulus money). See the following, scroll down to  What do I need to do to get my stimulus payment?, then  If you don’t need to file your taxes this year

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Did you use this TurboTax website to Register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

I did not. So here's the situation two days ago I was reading up on how to ensure I get a stimulus check, at that time the information I found said that people that do not have to file because they did not make enough income have to send in a "simple tax return". I tried to do so through TurboTax and at the end of it was told I had to file by mail. Today this news about a new portal opening to set up direct deposit for those that do not have to file taxes and now I am kinda stuck.

The page where you are meant to set up for direct deposit says: "we've sent your info to the IRS to process your stimulus payment" The thing is I never provided direct deposit information. Not sure what to do.

@lococubano wrote:

I did not. So here's the situation two days ago I was reading up on how to ensure I get a stimulus check, at that time the information I found said that people that do not have to file because they did not make enough income have to send in a "simple tax return". I tried to do so through TurboTax and at the end of it was told i had to file by mail. Today this news about a new portal opening to set up direct deposit for thats that do not have to file taxes and now I am kinda stuck.

the page where you are meant to set up for direct deposit says: "we've sent your info to the IRS to process your stimulus payment" The thing is I never provided direct deposit information. Not sure what to do.

In this case go back to the website to Register, but this time when asked Do you have a TurboTax Online account? select NO.  Then you will have to create a new User ID to register.

This worked, thank you very much.

Puprilla1

I filed taxes in late march and was told i owe so putting in my bank info wasn't a option. now ive tried to add bank info for stimulus check and it says it will email me about updates and i qualified for the money but it still never let me add my bank info and i think it re filed my fed taxes!! Im so lost and this is my only hope right now how can i add my info to my account without causing problems to my taxes i already filed! Plz help me ive been unemployed since mid march and could really use some good news right about now

WildBirdy

I'm in the same situation. After researching, pretty sure will have to wait for the promised IRS portal to update my previously filed tax return with direct deposit info. Can't be done via Turbo... once filed, they cannot change or add bank info. Only IRS can do that. My concern is that by the time IRS finally gets the portal going (expected "in the coming weeks") they will already have sent the direct deposits and moved on to checks. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

So many question are yet to be answered.  You can file this website for the most up to date information-

CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where is the portal to send direct deposit info to the IRS.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Go to Coronavirus Tax Center: 2020 Stimulus Scroll down and click on the orange box "Register now".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Jw to update my dd information how can I do that please 

@Harden914 wrote:

Jw to update my dd information how can I do that please 

If you have not filed a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

If you receive Social Security benefits, see this US Treasury website - https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

@Harden914  If you already filed your return,  the IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

----------------------------------

If you have not filed a return, or need to file a simple return to qualify for the Stimulus money, TurboTax setup where you can file a simple return for the stimulus money (if you are on Social Security or Disability, you do not have to file anything to get the stimulus money). See the following, scroll down to  What do I need to do to get my stimulus payment?, then  If you don’t need to file your taxes this year

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Barron1
Returning Member

i need to submit my bank information for stimulus payment

@Barron1 wrote:

i need to submit my bank information for stimulus payment

If you have not filed a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

If you receive Social Security benefits, see this US Treasury website - https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies