Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to separate passive loss carrforward for K-1 with multiple income activities to correctly input to TT?

I have passive loss carryovers (8582) generated by ownership in an S-corp with multiple income activities (Business and other rental). Do I need to somehow separate the carryovers and associate with the respective business activity that generated the losses or can I simply use the aggregated figures and associate with one of the K-1's in TT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Need to separate passive loss carrforward for K-1 with multiple income activities to correctly input to TT?

Turbotax only allows entry of one type of activity per k-1. thus ordinary (Part III line 1) income/loss gets entered on 1 k-1 and other rental income/loss (Part III line 3 ) must be entered on a 2nd k-1. you can reuse the ein

certain other lines on the k-1 you got may need to be entered on one of the Turbotax k-1s rather than the other. not enough info to advise

other lines don't matter like 4,5,6,7,8

1) as you go through the interview process you should come to a page that asks you to choose the type of activity. on this page check the box that says that the K-1 has more than one value in boxes 1,2, and 3. then continue

2) make entries as necessary on the following pages

3) you'll come to a page that says other situations

the first check box says I have passive activity losses ....    check it

check any other boxes that apply then continue

4) on the next page you enter the carryovers for whichever activity you're working on. read the instructions for entering passive loss numbers

then continue

5) you'll come to a page similar to the above but for alternative minimum tax purposes (AMT)

once done with the first activity add another s-corp k-1 to enter info for the second activity

hopefully, you have the info to separate the passive loss carryover for each activity. Turbotax has no way of computing it

you may have to file form 7203 - new this year for S-Corps here are the rules

Form 7203 is filed by S corporation shareholders who:
• Are claiming a deduction for their share of an aggregate loss from an S corporation (including an aggregate loss not allowed in prior years)
• Received a non-dividend distribution from an S corporation,
• Disposed of stock in an S corporation (whether or not gain is recognized), or
• Received a loan repayment from an S corporation.

if required, only one 7203 is filed for the corp but you have two activities.  so do not link it to either k-1 and fill in the numbers based on the k-1 you actually got. your beginning basis should have been reduced by prior year passive losses not allowed so do not duplicate them on this form 

All this makes sense but my question specifically concerns the 8582 passive loss carryovers which of course were not seperated by activity type as the form was not prepared in TT. So for "3" (Other situations), do I need to separate the passive loss carryovers or can I simply input into one of the two TT k-1s? Thanks.

...Sorry, I now see you are suggesting to separate the Passive loss carryover by activity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies