Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

perkins3

Need to override on a Mac in Forms mode and can't because it's greyed out

Problem using 2018 Turbotax Delux CD/download version for Macintosh. Followed your instructions – REPEATED BELOW. I can highlight an amount and/or a text box but "Override" on the Edit menu is then grayed out so can't type in the new amount and/or text. Could do this fine last year in the 2017 version. This week I have also done a screenshare with your tech support and they were unable to do it also

YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FROM TURBOTAX WEBSITE: "...Click on the Forms icon in the upper right to switch to forms mode and open the form that contains the line item you want to override. Right-click the line item and select Override. On the Mac, choose Override from the Edit menu in TurboTax. Enter the value, which will turn red. Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner..."

Understand, but after selecting the line item "...Override from the Edit menu ..." is grayed out

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
arthung

I was also very frustrated. Consider trying to find the worksheet. The forms utilize worksheets and I ultimately was able to edit the worksheet and it got carried over onto the actual form. 

instructions didn't work

I have the same problem trying to override on Windows Desktop Premier. Highlighted the field. I did this on the worksheet as suggested (n this case 1040/1040-SR). Right clicked. Selected Edit. All fields are grayed out.

@ kknerr1 wrote:

I have the same problem trying to override on Windows Desktop Premier. Highlighted the field. I did this on the worksheet as suggested (n this case 1040/1040-SR). Right clicked. Selected Edit. All fields are grayed out.

In the Windows version after right-clicking, if in the popup the override choice is grayed out, that means the figure comes from a worksheet first.   Worksheet interactions can be complex, and you may have to trace it back multiple worksheets to find out where the figure originated from.  

We have no idea "what" you are trying to override and why, since you have not said.  So we can't help you figure out where the figure originated from without more info.

Overriding is not recommended.  It's best to correct things in the step-to-step interview mode.   Be aware that overriding voids the TurboTax accuracy guarantee and can prevent you from efiling.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

When you click on the field, is there a link (magnifying glass) to a supporting form?   And when you right click, is there an option to click on ''Override''?

In the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can override (replace) a calculated figure in Forms Mode. This feature is unavailable in TurboTax Online.

Important:  Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to override anything. Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed and may not be covered under our 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee. We're providing these instructions to customers who understand the risks but wish to proceed anyhow.

1. Switch to Forms Mode if you're in the Step-by Step interview. Windows | Mac
  2. Right-click the line item and select Override (Windows) or choose Override from the Edit menu (Mac).
  3. Enter the value; it should turn red, indicating an override.
  4. Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner.

To undo the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override in Step 2 (Windows) or uncheck Override in the Edit menu (Mac).

When you run the final review, TurboTax will alert you of any overrides in your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same problem. Has this been addressed?

Yamana1249
Returning Member

You generally cannot directly enter overrides into the tax form itself. You must find the source of a particular cell in the underlying worksheet. Sometimes this requires going down more than one level.

In the Mac version, double-clicking on a cell takes you to its source; double-clicking again can take you to the source's source, etc. 

I am having the problem of having over ride greed out!

i need to override as I have a section 179 carryover from 2019 and cannot find anyplace that will allow me to enter without override.

please help as I’m so frustrated! 

Have used turbotax for 15 years and lost all my data until the April 23 upgrade that fixed the bugs, so I’ve been at it for several days. 

This is a bug that turbo tax needs to fix!  There isn’t a worksheet that pertains to section 179 carryovers from previous year.  It is only on form 4562.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies