Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help handling startup expenses for a lead generation website

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance in writing off startup costs in a lead generation website (digital real estate company) I invested into in 2022. This company sets up a website (I am owner) and generates leads that are sold to local businesses. For this I pay an initial startup cost to own and setup the site and a 25% commission on revenue. The company says that 90%+ of the startup costs can be tax deductible, but I'm not sure which costs are deductible, which is here I need help to understand which are/ are not. Would these costs all be realized in the year I invested (2022) in which case I may have to do a tax restatement or would they offset income as it comes to me in 2023 and beyond? Below is the table of up front costs they provided to me. Any info and/or guidance on how to best handle this is greatly appreciated, thank you!

QuantityDescriptionUnit PriceTotal

Domain

$10.00$10.00
1SEO Svcs: Competitor Analysis$700.00$700.00
1SEO Svcs: Keyword Research$700.00$700.00
5,000SEO Svcs: Content writing$.10$500.00
1SEO Svcs: Website build & optimization$3,200$3,200
1SEO Svcs: GMB + social listing$400.00$400.00
1SEO Svcs: GMB optimization$490.00$490.00
  Total$6,000.00

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Need help handling startup expenses for a lead generation website

Hi mrgendrich0, thanks for posting an event question.

Business startup costs include any amounts paid or incurred in connection with creating/investigating the creation or acquisition of an active trade or business.

Startup costs should be paid and incurred before your business operation date when the website is up,  functional and operational.

Using the above guideline, you should be able to determine the tabled items which are startup costs, and which are regular business expenses.

You can elect to deduct $5,000 startup costs in 2022, and the balance to be amortized over 15 years.

IRS Pub 535 Business Expenses, page 27, "Business Startup and Organization Costs"

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf 

Hope the above helps. Thank you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies