turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

judedane

My wife received income from being an Election Judge? Do I need to report that, and if so where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My wife received income from being an Election Judge? Do I need to report that, and if so where?

Yes, you do need to report election income. If you have received a W-2 for election /poll income, then you must report it as such.  If you have not received the Form W-2, then you should not have received more than $1,600 in compensation and the amount should be reported as Other Income.

Please follow the steps below to enter Poll/Election income:

1. Federal Taxes 
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Miscellaneous Income
  5. Select Other Reportable Income - enter Description (Poll or Election), enter the amount

Note: If you have received more than $1600 and no W-2 was issued, please contact the agency for which you worked.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you do need to report election income. If you have received a W-2 for election /poll income, then you must report it as such.  If you have not received the Form W-2, then you should not have received more than $1,600 in compensation and the amount should be reported as Other Income.

Please follow the steps below to enter Poll/Election income:

1. Federal Taxes 
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Miscellaneous Income
  5. Select Other Reportable Income - enter Description (Poll or Election), enter the amount

Note: If you have received more than $1600 and no W-2 was issued, please contact the agency for which you worked.

Ssabria
Returning Member

I have never heard about this before. Can you be more explicit?

Ssabria
Returning Member

Other ideas?

Two years ago, I haven’t reported any money after being the judge election assistant. I thought they paid the taxes first and then transferred the money to my bank account. In fact, the sum I got was very small. I have many side jobs that help me to survive, but I expected they would pay me more. You will laugh that a judge assistant is filling surveys as recommended by https://themoneymix.com to get an additional income. Do you think I will be in trouble if I will leave as it is?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You are required to report all income you receive. 

If you receive self employment income over $400 you are required to file even if your income would  would otherwise be below the filing requirement.

If you don't file returns, the IRS may contact you about it, and may even file for you and send you a bill.

It's better if you file your returns yourself.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies