Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my turbotax says forms are missing

I've been facing the issue of missing forms.  When I click on file, it says forms are missing and I cannot file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Does it tell you which forms are missing? Unfortunately, we in the Community cannot see your return nor the screen you are on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dfcamfield
Returning Member

The message, from TurboTax:

We'll Help You Finish Your Taxes Soon

We can't file your return just yet because the government is still working on certain tax forms that are in your 2019 tax return.

Form 1040: Individual

Schedule C

Profit or Loss from Business                     says will be ready "soon" for E-filing or mailing

Form 1040: Individual

Form 8995

Qualified Business Income Deduction              also says "soon"

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Ah! You must be using the CD/download software on either a Windows platform or a Mac.

Those forms have all been ready for months, so your software is not up to date.

I assume that you have updated your software? If so, it happens sometimes that the software fails to update by mistake.

In this case, we ask you to re-install your software. Before you do that, makes copies of your tax files. We have had scattered reports of missing tax files after an update. We don't know how that is possible, but better safe.

After you re-install the software, then go through the update process again.

If the forms are still "missing", then if you are a Windows platform, please see this TurboTax FAQ.

If you are on a Mac at this point, I suggest you file an extension and call in, although I don't if you will be able to speak to anyone until after Wednesday (hence the extension). Please see this TurboTax FAQ on how to file an extension.

Form 8862

It is form 8862

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Easy fix @castilloadam455

We can help you file Form 8862.

1. Sign in to TurboTax and continue to open your return.
  2. In the search box, search for 8862 and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. You'll come to the Earned Income Credit section. Select Continue.
  4. Answer the questions and eventually you'll be asked Do any of these uncommon situations apply? Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
  5. Select Continue and then Done.
  6. On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things screen, select the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.
  7. Select Continue.
  8. Answer the remaining questions.

We'll help you file Form 8862 when you're ready.   Resubmit (go back through the FILE) steps.  

Form 4684 p1

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you trying to report a Casualty loss on Federal form 4684?

This TurboTax Help states:

One way to get help with your expenses if you were impacted by a natural disaster is to take the tax break for your casualty loss.

If your area was declared a federal disaster, you may be entitled to claim casualty losses as an itemized deduction on your tax return. A casualty loss is officially defined as “the damage, destruction or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake or even volcanic eruption.” The loss can be from a natural or man-made disaster.

To access Federal form 4684 follow these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • At the top of the screen, click on Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Other Deductions and Credits.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Disasters, theft, and other property loss or damage.
  • TurboTax will ask you questions and determine whether you qualify for the deduction.

SRM2003

I have the same issue with form 4684 p1 for my 2020 return. I've followed the instruction above using Turbotax online but it still says 4684 p1 is missing and the availability date keeps pushing out (Feb 12 --> Feb 18 --> Feb 25 --> Now March 4).  But the IRS published this form already. What's the deal?

Here is a link to TurboTax forms availability.  Unfortunately, you are correct, the Casualty and Theft form, 4684 will be available on March 4, though it has been released by the IRS.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Exact same problem. It's maddening.

@Franklin Vaugn wrote:

Exact same problem. It's maddening.

This is an old thread from 2 years ago that last had an entry a year ago.  "Exact same problem" is not enough info since there are multiple users in this old thread.

You need to explain your current issue in detail, so folks in the forum can have some idea what you are referring to.    Where are you hitting a roadblock, and what message are you getting?   What form is it telling you is missing?    And is it a Federal form or a state form?   If a state form, what state?

Also please indicate if you are using desktop software (CD/download) or Online TurboTax.  

If you are using desktop software, what operating system--is it for Windows or Mac?  And have you updated it to the current release?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies