Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Ls23
Returning Member

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

And, just like that, turbotax will not work.  Ugh.  I had such high hopes!  

sidhartha-1
Returning Member

Turbo tax would not accept my password from my keychain on my IMAC.  As a result I had to manually enter my charitable contributions as I could not import them.  I am currently using the Big Sur OS.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@sidhartha-1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why hasn’t Turbo Tax sent out a fix to the problem of running 2019 and 2020 programs.  It’s not an Apple issue!

same problem with the 2020 Turbo Tax Deluxe CD.  After getting email saying my state tax return was rejected,  I tried, but was unable to open TTX on my iMac that runs Big Sur.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't work either.  Tried different ways to open, but no luck.  On the phone with customer service for 90 minutes.  They gave me a new license number to download TTX Deluxe.  Again same problem.  Won't open.  Is this a Turbo Tax software problem, or an Apple software problem?

Allentax
Returning Member

I made an entry on this bulletin board regarding 2019 turbo tax issues on my iMac, which was a late 2013 model no longer supported by Apple and was constantly freezing in one way or another.  I found a solution from some other members of this bulletin board, tried several until one actually worked.  The Intuit people were less than helpful and closed my ticket with full knowledge that they had not solved the problem.  I promised no more TT, but I bought a new MacBook recently, using Big Sur, which worked with no problem using Turbo Tax 2020.  

I think the ongoing problems being reported are caused by an interaction of the Apple OS and TT, that causes various anomalies when using TT, particularly with older OS systems.  I would suggest that you read the various recommended fixes of members of this bulletin board and try several.  One of them worked for me last year.  You can also get a refund for TT within 60 days of purchase, and then maybe buy HR Block.  

Good  Luck, SHB

It is an Intuit/Turbo Tax problem that for some unknown reason they refuse to address.  They should simply address the error message and fix the coding in the program.  CRAZY that they have not addressed this since 2019!!!!  

Same problem with 2020 TTX Deluxe.  I'm running Big Sur on my iMac  Regarding your suggested fix, I can't find "GO GO to Folder" in Finder.  Where is it?

Ls23
Returning Member

This happened to me last year.  Follow the instructions to remove all prior and current tax year files.   Then reload and it should work. I have not had any problems with the program this year.  

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for mac

Ls23
Returning Member

The Go Go To Folder....select Finder.   On the top, move over to "Go" then go down to Go to Folder.  

I paid for the software. It was not free. I’m hiring a tax professional this year. 

2020Taxreturn
Returning Member

I have the same issue with my Turbotax Home Business 2020.  Completed most of my taxes now I cannot get it to open.  Like your issues, it shows the message about checking for updates but disappears within seconds.  No help from Support yet, was on the phone with them for 1 1/2 hours.

sidhartha-1
Returning Member

I found when I "quit" the TT application and then reopen the program it will reopen after a short delay.   There is a software issue problem with my Mac OS Big Sur that I hope TT resolves.  

Nogaruo
Returning Member

I can;t open TT on my MAC for 2020. Yet I have the software for 2020 and had been working on my return. 

@Nogaruo wrote:

I can;t open TT on my MAC for 2020. Yet I have the software for 2020 and had been working on my return. 

What happens?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies