turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My transmission will not process. Get an error stating it’s a duplicate social security number. I have not filed yet this year. How can I finish filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My transmission will not process. Get an error stating it’s a duplicate social security number. I have not filed yet this year. How can I finish filing?

this is one type of rejection you can do nothing about at the present.  if you filed a non-filer form to get the stimulus that was filing of your tax return for 2019.  the IRS has not come up with a method, and maybe it never will, to allow taxpayers in this situation to e-file. so if this is your situation you may need to wait. if you owe you must file an extension and pay the balance due by 7/15/2020.  your return then won't have to be filed until 10/15/2020.   if you don't owe I would still suggest you file an extension and file the return by 10/15/2020. 

if you choose not to wait or this is not your situation, you can not e-file.  the return must be filed by mail. follow TT filing instructions and I would suggest using a service where you get proof of delivery.   the IRS is behind in processing paper returns so if you are due a refund do not expect it in the next 21 days.   

Couple of possibilities.

If you filed a "non-filer" form to get your stimulus faster, that counts as a tax return and you can't e-file two tax returns.  The IRS is "working on" a fix to allow people in that situation to e-file, but for now, your only option is to print your return and mail it.

You may also get that message if you are a victim of identity theft.  Again the only way to file is to print your return and mail it, but you may want to call customer support and ask to talk to the security department first.  Use the secure web form to get the appropriate contact number.  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies