turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return is being rejected with code FW2-001-02 which relates to a checked box 13 related to statutory income. My W2 had no such check in that respective box. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies

My tax return is being rejected with code FW2-001-02 which relates to a checked box 13 related to statutory income. My W2 had no such check in that respective box. Help?

Go back to Wages and income section. Look at your W2. They’re a box that is checked that shouldn’t be. Go back to line 13 and double check that entry. 

Box 13 has 3 choices ... it is possible you marked the wrong box in error ... return to the W-2 entry screen and see if that is what you did.

1a.jpg

Same error. Box isn't checked on my w2. Not adopting or have those forms yet have the same error. TurboTax support won't say if it's an error on TurboTax side or the irs side. No date estimated when it will be fixed. And If I have to mail my return in, I have serious doubt the irs will process it this year at all. 

This is a situation that is known and is being addressed ... try again in a couple of days. 

The sum of all form W-2s must not be greater than the sum of [WagesSalariesAnd TipsAmt in  the return and (sum of all schedule C (Form 1040), TotalGrossReceiptsAmt when StatutoryEmployeeFromW2Ind is checked) unless Form 8958 or Form 8839 is present in the return.  When evaluating this, a tolerance of $5.00 is allowed.

This return cannot be electronically filed due to a processing error related to other income items listed on 1040 Schedule 1, line 8.

The issue will be resolved but there is currently no estimated date for when the update will be available.  You have two options:

1. You may wait a few weeks and attempt to resubmit this return, or
  2. You may print and file the return by mail
T_K_
Level 2

Same issue, for me has something to do with how the software is dealing with non-qualified pension income reported on a W-2.  Spoke to a representative, who was unaware of the issue.  He could not find this problem on their list of know issues -- must be a just-emerged problem.  Advised to wait a while to see if a future desktop software update will correct the problem. 

Yes, that's basically a copy paste of what it says in the app. 

A little disappointed there's no date assigned. And when I called TT about 11 hours ago, they acted like they've never seen that error before and I can resubmit in a few weeks or keep checking back. But no date, and no indication if it's a TT issue or IRS issue. I know intuit doesn't want to accept fault or liability but come on.. 

As we all know, printing and mailing the return with the knowledge there's still 2021 returns not processed by the IRS doesn't give warm fuzzy feelings. 

If they could say "this should be resolved by......" would be immensely helpful. 

Figured I'd give it a go by switching to forms, adding 8958 and clicking the no box... And re-file.

Hopefully I don't get blocked out but it had no monetary impact i could find. Will this work or did I just waste a file attempt... 

Well, that was a fast rejection. 

Any suggestions on when I should retry? I see no date or an eta, the irs site has this listed as an error but can't tell when it'll be fixed. 😢 

I've spent most of the day on the phone with various "experts" regarding this rejection. They don't know if it's a TT issue or not. I'm going to wait a couple of days and refile then. I've been using TT for many years and have never experienced this type of concern before. I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now but hope someone gets on the ball ASAP.

Critter, W2 input is exact and precise. Seems to me the issue lies in TT software. Still waiting for fix!

So, after digging and digging, I noticed my forms in TurboTax for my w2's didn't accurately match one of my w2's. 

One of the w2's had the same amount in box 10 as it did in box 1.

As I didn't have the accounts that justify dependant care benefits being populated in my w2 (nor was the box populated in my actual w2) I simply deleted the value of box 10 (there were two of them in the w2) and it had no impact to refund amt etc, however after going over it a dozen times I finally just clicked efile.... And my w2's in tt perfectly matched in form and actual paper. 

40 min later I got the happy dance response of "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS"

Good luck everyone, I guess TurboTax "checking for errors" misses this actually obvious flaw.

Of note, even if I manually add the w2, and there's no field for box 10 in the input... It's populated in the form.

I believe it's a tt bug.... But good luck everyone! 

T_K_
Level 2

So after doing some research and reading the IRS Form 1040 and Schedule 1 instructions thoroughly, I corrected the problem in my return and re-submitted it successfully.  My non-qualified pension income is NOT a deferred compensation pension plan, rather it's a non-qualified salary continuation plan.  So I went to Forms view in TT and zeroed-out the amount shown in the second box in the Line 10 area under where it says:  "Distributions from sect. 457 and non-qualified plans".  This amount is transferred to line 8t on Schedule 1 which is intended to report Non-Qualified Deferred Compensation Plan payments (which mine is not). 

In prior years, line 8t did not exist on Schedule 1.  So I think there is a Step-by-Step problem with TT related to non-qualified pension income.  IRS instructions for Form 1040 Line 1 say:  "If you received a pension or annuity from a non-qualified deferred compensation plan or a nongovernmental section 457(b) plan and it was reported in box 1 of Form W-2, do not include this amount on Form 1040, line 1a. This amount is reported on Schedule 1, line 8t".

This is NEW in 2022, obviously, if someone does have income from a NQDC pension plan, there may be continuing issues in TT (because income is not supposed to be reported on Line 1 of Form 1040, but rather on Line 8t of Schedule 1 which then flows to Form 1040 Line 8 -- and results in the Federal error FW2-001-02), however because my NQ plan is not a deferred compensation plan I was able to correct my issue and successfully e-file. 

Great catch, Justanotherphil.  I also had the value from line 11 on the Turbotax version of my W-2 repeated on line 10, even though it did not on my original W-2.  Think this may be an error that occurred during the online W-2 download.  Anyway, I deleted the value on line 10 so that it would match my paper copy Form W-2 and everything sailed through.  When in doubt, hand enter your W-2 information.  Thanks!

JaeBae12

I got the same reject code but mine mentions something also about schedule 1, line 8… I have no clue what they are talking about… but it says it will be resolved in a few weeks… this is frustrating 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies