turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

charbloss

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

Mine was also the wrong amount.  It was far less than was projected, buy this site. I did not recieve anthing for  my dependants and I have three children under the age of 17.  

I am in the same boat as some people i have two qualifying children and only got 500 for 1 of them I file through turbo tax, how did i get less when i claim both on my 2019 taxes and received a refund for them both, not understanding how turbo tax and the IRS figure out to get some people all theirs and others didn’t and will we get what was left off since others  got their  full economic impact check?

SuzieK59

Can someone help me with this !! I need to know where my grandsons money has gone too ?? I need a # to call or something ! 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

For security reasons, a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lmerisme

Hello I am Levy Merisme my Stimulus check is missing 500$ because i have 3 children and i filled joint they give 3400$ please can you help me maybe they use the old file 2018 my refund 2019 is still pending..

Best regards!

Levy Merisme!

Yes, If they didn't get your 2019 return early enough they will use your 2018 return to calculate it.  See this chart on how to calculate it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/how_do_I_calculate_my_eip.pdf

You will receive any additional credit to which you were entitled when you file your 2020 taxes.

Ours was also wrong.  We received nothing for any of our dependents, only the $2400 for myself and spouse.  All dependents were on previous year returns, the oldest is 15.  That money would have been very helpful.  One can only hope that the IRS can work something out that doesn’t simply involve “waiting until 2020.”  How is that  supposed to help when the money is needed now?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This FAQ site should answer your question.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A29. Payment amounts vary based on income, filing status and family size. If you filed a 2019 tax return, the IRS used information from it about you, your spouse, your income, filing status and qualifying children to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. If you haven’t filed your 2019 return or it has not been processed yet, the IRS used the information from your 2018 return to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. The IRS is not able to correct or issue additional payments at this time and will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action people may need to take in the future.

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child payments. We encourage everyone to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 21).

Keep the Notice 1444, Your Economic Impact Payment, you will receive regarding your Economic Stimulus Payment with your records. This notice will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within a few weeks after the Payment is made. When you file your 2020 tax return next year, you can refer to Notice 1444 and claim additional credits on your 2020 tax return if you are eligible for them. The IRS will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action they may need to take.

I understand what the IRS says on its website, and I understand how it works.  While I appreciate the payment, and the upcoming tax credit I will receive, this is not acceptable.  Financially, we can make it work, although it will be very tight.  What about the families who cannot?   For some waiting until 2020 is useless.  It's like if I am having chest pain and a possible MI and the ER doc says, "Sorry, but we can't treat you until next year.  Good luck!"   I hope that modifications are made in the upcoming months that allow people to gain access to these funds earlier.  It's also my understanding that many non-filers did not receive dependent payments.  That's terrible, because many of those families fall into a category of definite need.  

Complain to your congress person ... only they can effect changes to the IRS policies. 

Exactly.  Already in the works.  

Shavaun_f

I didn’t get money for either of my kids and I have 100% legal and physical custody. There is literally no one to ask! I need a phone number with an actual person who can take a look at this. 

Shavaun_f

Me either. Any luck yet? 

Shavaun_f

I am in the exact same boat. Did you find any answers yet? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies