Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

I was looking here reading about that the ITINs won’t qualify? What does that mean 0DADA2C8-318B-4BF7-BBBE-D33F0188B336.jpeg

Who is eligible for the Economic Impact Payment?

U.S. citizens, permanent residents or qualifying resident aliens who:

• Have a valid Social Security number,
  • Could not be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer, and
  • Had adjusted gross income under certain limits.
dan420

I filed my daughter (born 12-26-2018) on my 2018 and 2019 tax return and I got $1,200 deposited to my account but not the $500 for my daughter. Has there been anybody that's been able to find out who to report this to in order to get resolved?

@dan420 - please look at your tax return closely where you child's name is listed.  WAY OVER to the right, there is a check mark.  Which column is it in?

if under 'child tax credit' , the the IRS made a mistake.  Wait for the letter to arrive in a few weeks from the IRS and hopefully there will be a process indicated on how to complain about such errors.,

if under 'other dependent tax credit', there is a mistake in how you filled out the tax return.  It is possible that you didn't get enough in the way of tax credits for the child, so you must amend BOTH 2018 and 2019 tax return,  THat is a 16 week process and there is no guidance from the IRS what they are going to do about the stimulus, but amend in any event because those tax credits are way more valuable than the $500 stimulus.  PLEASE LET ME  KNOW THAT THIS IS THE CASE and if you have trouble figuring out the error on the return.

if the issue is the error on your tax return itself as I describe above, the worst case is that you'll get the $500 stimulus on your 2020 tax return.  Here is why

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where there was a child where you didn't receive the $500 originally)  you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

let me know what you find! 

jazzyk617

Ours is too - we got $2373.00.  We should have gotten the $2400 plus $500 for one child.

jazzyk617

Just got the letter - it doesn't tell you anything about what to do if you feel it is wrong.  Tried to call the 800-number for more information, but it is just an endless loop of recordings.  

@jazzyk617  - okay, let's work through this as there is away out of this...

what is you AGI on Line 8b of your 2019 tax return.  the fact that $27 was removed from the expected $2400 means your AGI was $150, 540 (which is why $27 was reduced) and the child was not reflected in the stimulus or your AGI was $160, 540 which is why $540 was reduced and the child was correctly on the return.  

please post back and we can go from there. 

@jazzyk617 -  is the letter you received from the IRS?????

Terrid52

Did not receive the $500 for my twins that are 14 years old 

@Terrid52 - please check your tax return where the children are noted.  WAY OVER to the right, there are two columns of check marks (child tax credit and other dependent tax credit).  Where are the check marks?

if under "child tax credit' the the IRS has made an error.

if under "other dependent tax credit' how you answered the questions in TT caused this to occur and we have to figure out how it occured.   Please open TT and review all the questions and the answers CAREFULLY.  Also check the twin's birth year that you punch into TT. 

depending on what you find, please post back and we can figure out what to do next. 

Don’t count on an explanation in the IRS letter. It just shows the amount you received but no reasoning behind it. I spent over four hours on hold today with the IRS number provided. We have two children ages four and two and received 2900. Not counting on our government to fix their mistake. But $500 is a huge deal right now. 

@tdonovan12  - so is the check marks on your tax return under Child tax credit.? is it a IRS problem or taxpayer error... and there is a way to fix the situation, but it will take until 2020 tax return. 

what does the IRS letter say? no one has actually posted what it states.  form letter or specific to you? 

Gallifamily
Returning Member

We dont file taxes because my husband is a 100% disabled veteran and that is our only income (tax exempt). Today we received our payment for the 2 of us, but did not receive the $1500 for our 3 children. We don't owe anything and from what I'm reading, we need to file again next year??

If you didn't fill out information on the non-filers' portal at www.irs.gov, the IRS has no way to know you have eligible children.  You can try using the portal right now or wait until 2021 to file a return.

Yeah already tried too.. But for some reason it won't let me complete it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies