turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

The payment is based on information they have in their system for you.  If you didn't file a 2019 return they just have 2018 and prior info to go by.   The payment will be based on 2018 and if your income was higher then could have limited the amount you receive.

The $500 is for a qualifying child which is defined as one 17 or younger

Well done! I’m sending my amended return tomorrow. I didn’t see that part when I filed that initially. Yes he was born in September, but I just noticed that if he was born that year we were supposed to put he lived with us the entire year. I don’t know how I missed that, I appreciate your knowledge. My amended return got me an extra $1,500, thank you! 

Nmoore020
Returning Member

I am a single mother of a 5 year old boy. I got 1200 instead of 1700. I’m well within the agi so what happens now??

Nmoore020
Returning Member

I didn’t either and would like to know why.

Nmoore020
Returning Member

I didn’t get the $500 for my 5year old either.

Look at your tax return and see if you checked the box for “child tax credit” on the first page of your tax return.. that is where I made my mistake. I didn’t put he lived with me the whole year like I was supposed to. 

katepaschke04
Returning Member

Hope this helps some of you, I was confused with mine as well until I read about this. 

When you file your taxes there is a phase out threshold income for the child tax credit. If you are above the threshold, you might not have qualified for the full child tax credit(s) although your child(ren) are dependent(s). The income cap is less than the stimulus cap, but they went off your last tax return.  

Kthaney12
Returning Member

We should have gotten $3400. We got $1544.55. Less than half and a very weird amount.

Nmoore020
Returning Member

Who wants to wait a whole year to get it back when you file your taxes. It is nice that they sent them out but it’s not right that some people got paid for all three of the kids or two of their kids. I have a five-year-old son my adjusted gross income is well below the threshold and I only got $1200. I did not get the $500 for my son. When some people got $500 for all their kiddos. That’s just sketchy

katepaschke04
Returning Member

Same boat as you. I just found out that if you file jointly the child tax credit has a cut off of $110k income. So for me I didn't receive both child tax credits in 2019 because we too are above the $110k. The stimulus check threshold is maxed out at $150k so when they looked at last tax return I only had 1 child credit & therefore only received 1 child as part of the stimulus check. 

I think they'll catch on and provide some kind of form to fill out if you received the incorrect amount. 

Nmoore020
Returning Member

I have the same situation. 

I did use Turbo Tax Delux  to do my 2019 taxes and it would not allow me to submit the filing electronically as I have done for the past 10 years. The 2019 income of $13,000 qualified me for $1,200 EIP. I mailed the filing March 15, 2019 using the Turbo Tax printed filing material. I blame Turbo Tax for this screw up. What can I do?

I did file for 2019   Mailed the filing March 15, 2020. Income $13,000

Mine was wrong as well. We received $2900 instead of $3400. my wife and I filed jointly. We have 2 kids, 10 months old and 3 years old. Our adjusted gross income was just over $42k. I reviewed my tax return, and both kids were listed under my information but, for the EIC tax credit, I accidentally marked my younger son as “other dependent” instead of “child”. Because of this, I lost out on over $2800 in refund and the $500 in stimulus. I am in the process of requesting an amendment to my tax return but that takes time so I don’t know if I’ll ever get that $500 stimulus.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies