turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Godfirst29
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

Thanks because you answered my question, even though i never posted one lol

Godfirst29
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

Good Afternoon i was curious about something!  So i went to go check my Status and normally it would have the The 3 Levels Accepted Approved and Sent right! So this time it just gives a message telling me  your payment is still being processed! I think am over thinking due to me having issues last year☹️

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Often, the federal return may be delayed due to Tax reform updates.  Also, for some filers this year, your early tax return will be delayed because of new laws designed to stop identity theft.

The last few years have seen many tax changes - Tax Reform had major impacts to the tax code, and that means several new software programming has to be created.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Joanne20

I filed that same day..... they gave me a date of 2/17 but received my state on 2/14 not sure wats going on with my federal 😫😫

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Some states process returns faster than the IRS at this point in the tax season.  It's not unusual at this time of year with the normal IRS delay of many refunds until late Fed/early Mar.   

I received my state but no federal and the bars on wheres my refund have disappeared. Why? What does it mean if bars are gone? My friends bars are there but not mine. It just says it’s being processed. 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

This can happen, there is no need to worry.  The IRS and your state process returns and refunds at different times. Some cases you will get your state refund before your federal refund, especially if you claimed the earned income tax credit or the additional child tax credit. The IRS will not start processing those returns and refunds until 2/15/2020

Cclark1024
Returning Member

Did you ever receive your federal? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you did not do anything wrong.  The fact that your state return came before your federal return only indicates that the state processed your return faster than the IRS is processing your federal return.

mtc

Also got my state right away and haven't gotten federal yet. I have the child credit though. Usually it's quick. 

No rush. So I'll keep waiting if I have to. 

Filed on Feb 7th. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting February 27, 2019, if these taxpayers chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.

Please click the IRS link Refund Timing for Earned Income Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit Filers to learn more. 

Bobken35

My date to receive my taxes was Feb 26, there was no deposit. This morning I received my state taxes and still no federal. When should I expect to receive my refund?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately we cannot tell you when you can expect your refund. You can check the status of the your federal refund by clicking here:

If it has been more than 21 days, you should call the IRS and speak to a tax representative about your refund and see if they can tell you when the refund will be released, or fi they are showing anything on your account that will hold your refund up. 

How long would you say it took for your state refund to come in and what state. 

Hello I just want to ask how many days did it take about two weeks 14 days or so? And did you find that the where's your refund was up to date. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies