turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bentaxes
Returning Member

My return is continually freezing on check this entry when attempting to submit. I used robinhood to upload the forms so idk why I would have to check anything

Yes, can someone fix this? How is this not a top priority given that it has happened for a year?

r_1
Level 2

My return is continually freezing on check this entry when attempting to submit. I used robinhood to upload the forms so idk why I would have to check anything

After doing more testing (Intuit owes me for doing their QA for them) I know what is causing this.

The problem is 1099-Bs (only 1099-Bs; 1099-DIVs, 1099-INTs, 1099-MISCs are fine) imported from TD AMERITRADE. Other brokerage 1099s are fine (at least the handful other brokerage ones I had; when TDA 1099-B was deleted, then I could proceed to file). However, TD Ameritrade imported ones have this problem. For each and every transaction. Regardless if it's sold at a profit or loss. Nothing to do with "wash sale" as an Intuit rep falsely claimed in another thread (that part is blank and has no figures; only if one tries to use the "review" page to enter the data that TT already has, then it makes the wash sale number 0.00).

Deleting and re-downloading TD Ameritrade 1099-B doesn't fix it either.

TD Ameritrade hasn't issued any new "Document ID" 1099s, so I don't think this problem is on their end. If it was, they would have replaced the earlier faulty 1099s with new "Document ID" ones over the last three weeks. They haven't.

Intuit: when do you plan to fix the TD Ameritrade imported 1099-Bs? Probably millions of your customers can't file due to this huge bug, and your obvious total lack of QA.

Note: it seems that E*Trade and robinhood 1099-Bs also may have the same problem, based on user reports here.. Most other brokerages are fine, though.

jbarss

Same problem.  Turbo Tax needs to drop the nonsense about clearing cookies and cache.  It doesnt work as many many people have tried and replied as much.   This is such a rookie issue and the fact that its been happening for two years in a row is bush league. 

r_1
Level 2

Since Intuit is obviously ignoring this major bug, workaround for everyone impacted by this:

1. Delete your affected 1099-B. (Leave the 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC and other forms you downloaded. Those don't seem to be affected.)

2. Enter the summary data - the transaction total, ONLY. It's usually found on the first page of our 1099-B, with a title like "Summary of Process, Gains & Losses, Adjustments and Withholding." Otherwise use the total for the realized gain (or loss) section of your 1099. You will need to enter each sub-type (like short and long term) separately. In the TT 1099-B interview, you need to select that you have "many transactions", and then it'll prompt you just to enter the totals for each type - this workaround, vs. each transaction one-by-one - the part that is broken and doesn't work for several broker downloaded 1099-Bs.

That's it! Your tax will be still calculated correctly. But, the transaction details will not go in form 8949. Potential risk here is increased audit risk, by having provided the numbers without the breakdown in form 8949, but it seems that it can be filed without the transaction-level detail. That looks like the only workaround here around this, since Intuit is clearly not interested in releasing a working TurboTax product.

It breaks with Webull imports too. This is the same sh*t that happened last year.  I don't remember how it got fixed, eventually it worked.  I just don't know how something that broke last year could break again. It's a shame other tax companies don't have imports.

It's not the "cache" or "clearing cookies" that's going to solve this...Take all that money you earn from charging people to use your software and invest in your program. Simple solution. 

@TerukoL it has nothing to do with cookies or cache or unplugging it for 10 seconds and plugging it back in or any other asinine fix.

The js is trash.  FFS just hit f12 when viewing it and see all the errors.

SOLVED! THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM WITH 1099B FREEZING ON WORKSHEET. 

1. Delete your affected 1099-B. (Leave the 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC and other forms you downloaded. Those don't seem to be affected.)

2. Enter the summary data - the transaction total, ONLY. It's usually found on the first page of our 1099-B, with a title like "Summary of Process, Gains & Losses, Adjustments and Withholding." Otherwise use the total for the realized gain (or loss) section of your 1099. You will need to enter each sub-type (like short and long term) separately. In the TT 1099-B interview, you need to select that you have "many transactions", and then it'll prompt you just to enter the totals for each type - this workaround, vs. each transaction one-by-one - the part that is broken and doesn't work for several broker downloaded 1099-Bs.

That's it! Your tax will be still calculated correctly. But, the transaction details will not go in form 8949. Potential risk here is increased audit risk, by having provided the numbers without the breakdown in form 8949, but it seems that it can be filed without the transaction-level detail. That looks like the only workaround here around this, since Intuit is clearly not interested in releasing a working TurboTax product.

@jmoney007I wouldn't call that a fix. I could have done that without paying for TT premier.

r_1
Level 2

It's a workaround (not fix), and yes, defeats the purpose of paying for TT that is supposed to import data and prepare forms automatically and completely. Then it's recommended that you print out and mail your 1099-B to the IRS within a few days of filing the return this way, even as said by Intuit's own reps here in other threads.

It's a case of simple bait & switch by Intuit here. 

I made a new post showing all the js errors showing up on the browser console and pointed out how much of a scam company they are for trying to blame it on cookies and cache.  And the post was deleted.  They're trying to cover up their ineptitude so they can blame it on their customer's "cache an cookies".

Thanks for posting @r_1 r_1 and @jmoney007 jmoney007. This is ultimately what I had to do.

fornarch

Same exact situation to me. Except I cannot even load the 1099 page to delete anything. Same situation as last year. If it happens next year I will not be using turbo tax. 

darkzone

I have same issue, did you ever find a solution?

darkzone

Has anyone had this problem on the downloaded software, or only on the web version? Wondering if I switch if it will be safe or if I will have the same issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies