Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Re: My false return

More likely you made mistakes when you prepared your tax return.   Lots of people made mistakes that resulted in reduced refunds.  Your refund amount is not "solid" if it was based on incorrect data entered by you.

You mention not getting a state refund but then you mention the franchise tax board.  You may be confused as to the sources of the refunds.  Your federal refund comes from the IRS.   You filed a Form 1040 that went to the IRS.  Since you are mentioning the tax franchise board---that sounds like you are in California.   Your state refund comes from the state tax franchise board and you send the state a Form 540 if you live in CA.

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund, those fees came out of your federal refund, not your state refund.  

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities,  There is no rule as to which one will come first or how much time there will be between their arrivals.

TurboTax does not get any information from the IRS after you file your tax return, so no one at TT knows why your refund was less.

Sometimes we can make an educated guess as to the reason for your reduced refund if you mention specific amounts--for example if your refund was short by $1400 per person---it is likely to be a mix up regarding the 3rd EIP payment.    If you received the 3rd stimulus check of $1400 per person in 2021 then you got letter 6475 from the IRS about it.   You needed to enter the amount you received.   If you already received that money then line 30 on your Form 1040 should have been blank.

If it is short by $1800 or  $1500 or  a multiple of that amount  ---   maybe a mixup regarding the advance child tax credit payments. If you received monthly child tax credit payments of $250 or $300 per month between July and December of 2021, then you got letter 6419 from the IRS, and you were required to enter the amount of the advance payments.   Only the remaining amount of the CTC should have been on line 28 of your Form 1040.

The IRS knows how much they sent to you for the 3rd stimulus check and they know how much they sent for advance child tax credit payments.   If you answered something incorrectly on your tax return then the IRS made a correction that resulted in a reduced refund for you. 

Or---the fees you were supposed to pay for using TurboTax + the "refund processing fee" charged by the third party bank….

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99 or $44.99 in CA)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

The IRS will send you a letter that explains why your refund was reduced or why you owe more.   Meanwhile it might help you to check your online IRS account.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-refunds/why-is-my-tax-refund-not-what-i-expected-49240/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is this supposed to be in response to the following thread?:

My false return (intuit.com)

I tried to file my taxes by myself and have never done this before. So yeah I obviously screwed up. Thought I was getting 6029 but not even close

The franchise tax board sent me a letter saying they adjusted my gross income mAybe. I dont have the letter with me but i think it said they adjusted my gross income and couple other things

When I filed I had no clue what I was doing. So I would just add something here and something there and it would increase my refund. But i thought  that the turbo tax person tjat I was paying was responsible for looking over what I did and he obviously did not! Im asking shouldnt he havencaught what I did wrong and adjusted it before I sent it in. 

@Currdoggy3481 TurboTax does not have a way to verify from any outside source what YOU enter as your income information.   The software uses the data entered by the user. Even if you used a Live expert, that expert has to rely on YOUR information.   They can see whether the calculations are correct and whether the income was entered in the right parts of the software; they do not know if you just made up information or gave your best guesses, or just "added something here and  something there" to boost your refund.   Sorry----your reduced refund was due to your own errors.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Find the letter you received from the state and call in for someone to help you understand it.

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies