turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex wife claims our daughter. But I give her 400 a month for stuff is there a way for me to write that off?

400 is given directly to my daughter also I never got a dime from Government during covid. Is there a way to get stimulus? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My ex wife claims our daughter. But I give her 400 a month for stuff is there a way for me to write that off?

If your income is high you are not eligible for stimulus payments.

you can get details at IRS.gov website.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  I give her $400 a month for stuff is there a way for me to write that off?

A. No. 

Q.  I never got a dime from Government during covid. Is there a way to get stimulus? 

A.  Probably not. As others have said, stimulus payments were income based. For those who otherwsie did not get payments, stimulus money could be claimed, on your 2020 and 2021 tax returns, as "Recovery Rebate Credit"

You cannot get stimulus payments for your daughter since you cannot claim her as a dependent.   Stimulus payments for yourself or any other dependents you can claim would be based on your income.  If your income is too high then you are not eligible.

The first EIP --or stimulus check--- was issued in 2020  It was for $1200 for adults and $500 for a dependent under the age of 17.   The IRS used information from either your 2019 or 2020 tax return to issue those checks so they could send them out in a hurry.

The 2nd EIP or stimulus was issued in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for adults and $600 for dependents under age 17.

If you did not receive the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus check you can get it by filing a 2020 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   It will end up on line 30 of a 2020 tax return and will be added to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

The 3rd EIP--or stimulus check-- was sent out in mid-March or later in 2021 and was for $1400 per person--adults and dependents no age limit.

If you did not get the 3rd EIP payment you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The credit will go on line 30 of your Form 1040 and will add to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

FIRST AND SECOND STIMULUS

A1. Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200  ($2,400  for a joint return) if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien during 2021, you were eligible for $1,400 ($2,800  for a joint return), plus $1,400 for each qualifying dependent, if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) were not a dependent of another taxpayer on a 2020 tax return, have a valid Social Security number (SSN) (see exception when married filing jointly and exception for qualified dependents) and your adjusted gross income (AGI) did not exceed:

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals using any other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.

Payments were phased out – or reduced – above those AGI amounts. This means taxpayers did not receive a third payment if their AGI exceeded:

• $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $120,000 if filing as head of household or
  • $80,000 for eligible individuals using other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.

You were not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply:

• You could be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 tax return
  • You were a nonresident alien.
  • You did not have a valid SSN issued to you by the due date of your tax return (including an extension to October 15 if you requested it).
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies