turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blee485

My Ex-wife and I have a shared parenting, joint-custody legal agreement. Are we both able to list our children as having lived with us for the whole year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

My Ex-wife and I have a shared parenting, joint-custody legal agreement. Are we both able to list our children as having lived with us for the whole year?

No, only one of you can be the custodial parent and claim benefits related to a child living in your home. Therefore, only one of you should include the child on your tax return. The child could only have lived in one of your homes for the entire year and you must decide who will claim the child. If you each have the child for the same amount of time during the year, then neither of you will qualify to claim the child.

The IRS gives the dependency exemption to the custodial parent (the parent who had the child longer during the year) unless that parent allows the noncustodial parent to claim the child. However, there is a special IRS rule that allows divorced or separated parents to split tax benefits for the same child. Under this rule, the custodial parent is the parent who had the child for the longer portion of the year. 

Note: You do not both include the child on your tax returns unless the noncustodial parent claims the child as a dependent as described in the IRS link above. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

No, only one of you can be the custodial parent and claim benefits related to a child living in your home. Therefore, only one of you should include the child on your tax return. The child could only have lived in one of your homes for the entire year and you must decide who will claim the child. If you each have the child for the same amount of time during the year, then neither of you will qualify to claim the child.

The IRS gives the dependency exemption to the custodial parent (the parent who had the child longer during the year) unless that parent allows the noncustodial parent to claim the child. However, there is a special IRS rule that allows divorced or separated parents to split tax benefits for the same child. Under this rule, the custodial parent is the parent who had the child for the longer portion of the year. 

Note: You do not both include the child on your tax returns unless the noncustodial parent claims the child as a dependent as described in the IRS link above. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies