Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My efile failed. needed an update, updated. Still fails. Still needs update, but no update.

I called support this morning and had a gentleman that figured it out with me.  It took about an hour on the phone but it was resolved in the end.  Background:  I purchased a CD from Target. I had the same issues and tried all the same fixes - installed, deinstalled reinstalled several times, tried on a different computer, did the manual updates, did the patches, etc. In the end we found that even when we deinstalled it left traces of the software on the computer AND the support rep put a new product download out on my intuit account and I installed from there and it worked! Not sure if it was the installment from CD that was causing the problem but go through the Help Center/Contact Us with your question so you can reach out to them. I hope that helps!  Very very frustrating experience before working with Support.  My Support person was top-notch - I hope you have the same experience.  Good Luck!

penstruck
Returning Member

My efile failed. needed an update, updated. Still fails. Still needs update, but no update.

Well I would have to carry my desktop downstairs to where my router is located. So this won't work for me. Does anyone else have a interaction that worked without disassembling the desktop?

@penstruck wrote:

Well I would have to carry my desktop downstairs to where my router is located. So this won't work for me. Does anyone else have a interaction that worked without disassembling the desktop?

If your router and modem are located next to each other, what you could do is disconnect network cable from modem. Disconnect the network cable from the router that is the one that runs to your desktop and connect that to the modem. As long as you get the right cable on the router that runs your desktop, you don't even have to move the desktop at all. This of course will cause anything connected to the router to no longer have access to the internet, but it's only for a brief time to hopefully get the update needed and then put things back as i was. Good luck

penstruck
Returning Member

Thank you. However my desktop uses wifi to connect. It is upstairs and my modem and router are downstairs on the main floor. I don't think I could find an ethernet cable long enough for that. 

i am totally discusted with turbotax for ignoring us on this issue.  i have used since 2014.  it seems they always send too many updates, but the always worked before.  i am going to start looking for alternatives. 

you are brave.  i am looking at other opetions Taxact and i think H&R block. i will have to file an extention so i am going to check out the other options

The solution from @jkmizz  and @blubegone91 on 5/10/21 worked for me as well!

I bought a CD of Turbo Tax Deluxe for the 2020 Tax Year and installed it on a mac laptop computer. When I tried to efile my federal taxes, I got the error message "Your Transmission Didn't Go Through", "Validation failed: There is an update available for your program. Before you can e-file, you'll need to get this update." I tried everything that others have mentioned to update it, but I kept getting the same error message. 

Then I tried what jkmizz and blubegone91 suggested, and it worked! I unplugged my router's power cord to turn it off; de-attached the Ethernet cable that connected my modem and router; unplugged my modem's power cord; re-plugged it in to reboot it; connected my laptop to my modem via the Ethernet cable (I had to use a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter since my laptop does not have an Ethernet port). Once that was successfully connected, when I started Turbo Tax, there was a new update to download. After installing the update, I was able to efile my federal taxes.

Bypassing the Wi-Fi router worked for me as well!!! Yes, it was a pain to get my desktop down to the basement, but far better than sitting on a tech support call for 2-4 hours.  Many many thanks to  @jkmizz  and @blubegone91 TurboTax: you should be embarrassed about this EPIC FAIL!

Spent hours with support.  eFile is failing from MacOS.  Latest version Monterey and back to Catalina.

Also, the workaround offered by support is to print and mail it in.  That can't be done either as the TurboTax 2021 Premier just crashes each time I try to print.  Horrible.

Validation failed: Electronic filing system having difficulty recognizing the data in the return..." Technical hiccup"?

I have tried to send multiple times on multiple days.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

What version are you using?  If you are using the Online version, you might try the following steps:

Please try the following steps which may help clear the loop you are experiencing:

• Log completely out of Turbo Tax.
  • Then, clear your cache and cookies within your browser and completely close out of it.  I have included the Help Articles below if you need assistance with clearing cache or cookies.
  • Re-open the browser and log back into Turbo Tax and see if this fixes the situation.
    • You can also try a different browser as well, or "incognito mode".
    • In addition, you can also try to bypass your router and hardwire into your modem.

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

If you are using the Download/Desktop version, you will need to make sure you have updated your software.  To manually update for Windows, please see the Help Article here.  For Mac, please see this Help Article.  

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please reach back out here in the thread and someone will follow up with the next steps. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found the problem on my own.  The import from Merrill Lynch has something that corrupts your files.  Once I removed it and entered the data by hand I could successfully print and eFile

no comment

You should get your engineering and QA teams to more thoroughly test the imports and validate data integrity from financial providers such as Merrill and others.  It was unbelievably painful for me to figure out this problem.  Your support teams should be given tools and directions to spot these types of issues.  I’m a software engineer myself.

I get an efile failed message and now unable to get to screen where I can ask for another update.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies