turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter is 17 and worked. She earned $444 and is a full time high school student.

I am a single mom,

I completed filling my tax return as head of the household with my daughter as a dependent.

My daughter is 17 and worked. She earned $444.00 for year and is a full time high school student. On her W2, she doesn't have federal tax withheld, but have State Tax withheld.

Is my daughter required to file Federal/Michigan Tax Return?

Best,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

My daughter is 17 and worked. She earned $444 and is a full time high school student.

She is not required to file, but if she wants to get the state withholding back, she can file a Michigan state return and get that money back.   It is optional.   To do that, she would enter the W-2 on the federal portion and TurboTax will transfer everything to the state return so she could get the refund.   As mentioned above, if she files the return, be sure to indicate that she is being claimed as dependent on another tax return (yours).   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, your daughter is not required to file, She may file income tax return just to claim her state refund.  On her federal information, she needs to enter or check the box "Someone claimed me as a dependent".

Thank you. So she isn't required to file both Federal and State(Michigan), correct?

Do we just keep her W2 as record?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

She is not required to file, but if she wants to get the state withholding back, she can file a Michigan state return and get that money back.   It is optional.   To do that, she would enter the W-2 on the federal portion and TurboTax will transfer everything to the state return so she could get the refund.   As mentioned above, if she files the return, be sure to indicate that she is being claimed as dependent on another tax return (yours).   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies