turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cecpayne
Returning Member

My 2019 return, the IRS changed the refund amount from $6,212 to $4,662.39. Justification Line 12a ( turbo tax had $4,069 ) IRS said it should have been $5,728. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

My 2019 return, the IRS changed the refund amount from $6,212 to $4,662.39. Justification Line 12a ( turbo tax had $4,069 ) IRS said it should have been $5,728. Why?

we can't see your return nor any notice that the IRS sent.  what did it say?

cecpayne
Returning Member

Morning Mike,

Not sure how to attach a document but the simple version from the IRS.

Description           Your calculations         IRS calculations

AGI Line 8b           $47,744                         $47,744

Taxable income,

line 11b                   $35,544                        $35,544

Total tax

line 16                       $4,069                         $5,728

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Without more information it is difficult to determine what the difference represents.  You could have lost some child tax credits if a dependent claimed themselves on their own tax return or was claimed as a dependent on another return.  You could have additional self employment taxes accessed from a 1099-MIsc you included in other income.  Look at the notice you received.  If it has CP2000 in the upper right hand corner, the IRS is only proposing changes at this time but you have a 30 day window to respond to the notice before the additional tax it is assessed.  

TurboTax has a audit support site to help you with any IRS notices.  Additionally, if you purchased Max Benefits with your 2019 return you would have audit and IRS notice protection from TaxAudit.com.  If you purchased Max Benefits, forward the notice to TaxAudit.com and they will work with you to get a solution.  Either way TurboTax is here to help you with your IRS Notices.

Click Here to get to the TurboTax Audit Support site to get the ball rolling on answering your IRS notice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cecpayne
Returning Member

Nothing yet, I'll try the Audit group

Thanks

The IRS usually sends a follow up letter explaining the reason for the change 3-4 weeks after the change letter.   Usually because they added income that you failed to report of reported incorrectly.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
cecpayne
Returning Member

I do have the IRS letter and as I referenced before my AGI did not change( line 8b), taxable income ( line 11b) did not change. The only change was Total Tax (line16 )

I tried TurboTax Audit Support and that got me no where, I just tried calling the IRS # reference in the IRS letter [phone number removed] x529, there isn't an option to go to x529 So that went no where as well.

There are several lines between line 11b and line 16.  

For example did you have a Child tax credit on line 13 that they denied?

Did you have other taxes such as the SE tax of self-employed on line 15 from Schedule 2 (there could be several other things on Schedule 2) that you did not report.

All these things will change what is on line 16.

Without more information, nobody here can know what or way the IRS changed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
cecpayne
Returning Member

Thanks, I'll keeping looking

You could try requesting your tax transcript for that year. You can do this by following the instructions on this IRS link:

Get Transcript | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

cecpayne
Returning Member

Thank you, I have already done that. Hopefully will receive later this week or next early next week

I want to submit and I want to get the refund loan as well as not have to pay since I did all the work 

also

It’s for my stimulus checks that were supposed to come to me but went to my mother because the year 2017 when I was in jail she had clean my son but he has been with me I was told by Irs that it would just have to be submitted on my form and I will receive it with my refund

I need to know what that’s gonna cost me and if it’s just gonna come out of my return

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Aclimitless When you prepare your tax return for 2020, any stimulus that you are entitled to will be added to your refund. If your mother received any payments because she claimed your son as her dependent on a previous year tax return that will not affect your refund and she won't need to pay any of that money back.

When you prepare your tax return for 2020 in TurboTax, you will be prompted to enter how much you received for your stimulus and then the program will calculate the amount of stimulus due you based on your income, number of dependents and payments already received. If any additional stimulus is due you, it will be used to reduce your 2020 income tax liability, and the balance will be refunded to you.

You will see the options when you are done entering your tax information and proceed to the review process.

You can file a tax return in 2020 to get your stimulus check, even if you aren't required to otherwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dennisp

This is the second yr that I have filed with turbo tax , last yr never received anything for my fed or state and now this yr i take its been rejected and I never received my stimulus from last yr either and so far not this yrs stimulus I los my house next week because I was hoping my taxes would get done right this time but nope ? Guess not my water was shut off 2 weeks ago and sewer also ice never had any problems with my old tax company but my brother said usr turbo tax there great , no I don't think so and tomorrow my phone is shut off and my  internet I'm a free lance writer I need that and I'm so scared to use you all again that's thousands of dollars lost or not found  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies