turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-NEC does not have an EIN number, it has a SS number, which I entered using the SS option. But now I'm getting a "Needs review" that insists I provide an EIN.

On the "Needs review" screen it says "You must enter a Federal EIN "or" a social security number for the payer.  There is a box where I can enter an EIN (which my payer does not have) but there's no option to enter the SS number (which is what's on my 1099-NEC)? I've tried removing the 1099-NEC from my income section & then re-adding it again but I always end up back at this "Needs review" screen that wants an EIN even though the website clearly says I can use an EIN "or" a SS number. I'm stuck, can't proceed. Any advice?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My 1099-NEC does not have an EIN number, it has a SS number, which I entered using the SS option. But now I'm getting a "Needs review" that insists I provide an EIN.

But whose SSN is it?  It's supposed to be the Payer's (not yours).  It may also be that the name doesn't match.  For example, is the name Smith Landscaping Service, but the SSN corresponds to John Smith, the owner.

Yes I'm talking about the payer's social security number. His name & his social security number is all that's on my paper 1099-NEC that he mailed to me. He does not have an EIN number. So here's what I entered in TurboTax...
tax issues 001.jpgEverything looked good until I got to TurboTax's review screen where it is now asking for an EIN...

Screenshot 2021-04-13 150444.jpgThis review screen won't let me enter anything other than an EIN number. I already gave TurboTax his name & social security number. Why does it now want an EIN? Doesn't make any sense & unfortunately I can't proceed with the process until this is resolved. 

I am having the same issue. Were you able to resolve? 

Unfortunately I was not able to resolve this issue. But I did find a workaround of sorts...

So as a recap... I entered the info from my 1099-NEC using the name & social security provided by my payer. Later in the process I was presented with a "Needs review" which insists I also provide a EIN number from my payer (which he doesn't have). So I posted my issue here & also contacted TurboTax's "free tier" technical help. After a computer screen sharing session a TurboTax tech he told me I would need to obtain an EIN number from my payer which wasn't very helpful.

In the end I just ignored the "Needs review/EIN number" thing. Turns out the "Continue" button on that screen does still work even though its grayed out. From there I was taken to the billing part of the TurboTax process where they happily took my money. But then I discovered doing an e-file wasn't going to be an option, again because of the "Needs review/EIN number" issue. So instead I chose the file by mail method which allowed me to download a PDF file which I could then print & mail to the IRS/State. I have low expectations for this to go well, we'll have to see.

Anyway it's good to hear I'm not the only one having this 1099-NEC SS Vs EIN number issue. Best of luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies