turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-NEC Box 6 is blank. The system won't allow me to e-file unless its filled in. What can I do to bypass this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My 1099-NEC Box 6 is blank. The system won't allow me to e-file unless its filled in. What can I do to bypass this?

Box 6 needs an entry if there is an entry in Box 5 or 7. If you only have one state tax return, it isn't necessary to indicate that the income belongs to that state. It will carry forward to your state return.

There are zero entries in boxes 5-7 on my form.

Do I put the Payer's state or my state?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Enter the Payor's State.

If boxes 5 and 7 show $0 then make sure you left them empty and didn't manually enter 0 on the form. Same thing happened to me and doing this let me e-file without needing to fill box 6.

Is this referring to me (tax payer) or the person who paid me as the payer on the 1099-NEC? As mentioned in the initial post, there is no box 6 entry on the form I received. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have entries in boxes 5 or 7?  @prophet713 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This particular 1099-NEC form (I think it was automated via software) doesn't have "boxes" per se, but it creates a list with box number that are relevant. In this case there is only (IRS BOX#) 1 listed for the amount. No box 5, 6, or 7 is listed. Another piece of info I noticed is that, when I'm looking at the request from TurboTax to fill it in, the following number it filled in is my social security (leading me to assume I enter my state, not the person paying me). 

In the TT program leave boxes 5, 6 & 7 BLANK.  

The software will not allow me to leave it blank if I would like to proceed to file. 

If this is going to be income on a Sch C then please skip the 1099 entry screen if it is giving you trouble ... you can simply enter your total income  as one total amount under the OTHER option. 1099-nec.png

Thanks for the proposed work around @Critter-3 

In case anyone continues to have this issue:

When I went back to that 1099-NEC, I had NOT checked the box that said, "Boxes 5-7 have numbers in them," or whatever specifically it says. Reasonably, I thought that meant those boxes were blank on my TurboTax form, as they are on my paper documents. But when you DO check that box, a section drops down allowing you to enter values for Boxes 5-7, and that's where I could see that there was a "0" typed into Box 5. This was forcing a value for Box 6 in the TurboTax system.

I just deleted the "0" and then I could e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies