Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dw835
Returning Member

Multi-state residency information - TurboTax has a mind of its own.

I'm trying to create a return for CALIFORNIA for the year 2017 with TurboTax Premier 2017.  It is where I moved to after most of the year in Illinois.  But TurboTax insists on treating my return as a "nonresident" of CA instead of a PARTIAL resident.  For example:  Every time I switch the YES to NO on this question:  "Were you a California nonresident during all of 2017", TurboTax seems to ignore my answer of NO.  When I run through the same section a second time, TurboTax changed my reply to YES.   It also asks "Do you own a home or property in California".  I change that to YES, but lo and behold, TT ignores this, because when I go back through the section a moment or two later, the answer now reads as NO to that question.  It seems there is a gremlin or something changing my answers back to what it wishes.   A bit annoying to say the least.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Multi-state residency information - TurboTax has a mind of its own.

If your illinois state return does not include the state Schedule NR, then as far as the program is concerned you were a full time resident of IL for the entire year. Therefore (as far as the program is concerned) there is no way possible you could be a resident of any other state for even one day of the tax year.

On the IL state return it asks if you were a resident for the entire year, and then it will ask the same question of your spouse. You must answer no for both, and then you must also enter the dates of your residency for the state. Until you do that, the CA state return will not allow you to file anything other than a non-resident state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies