turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving

I moved from Chicago to Alexandria Va,  but works in Washington DC, how does that affect my tax deductions? Will I have to pay taxes in two states? Is there certain deductions I should be  more concerned with to ensure I will not owe at the end of the year… 

my new job is suppose to pay me $87,123 a year. I don’t want to owe the IRS. (No dependents) please advise…..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
dclick
Expert Alumni

Moving

Generally, your income tax is based on where you're physically located when earning the income. So, if your job's office is in state A, but because of the pandemic you're living and working full time in state B, you'd pay income and all other taxes to state B.

In this instance, you'd still be responsible for taxes for the period you lived in IL. You will file PY resident returns for each state and allocate the income received. You would also want to make sure you update your withholding information with your employer to reflect the move.

Additionally, you want to make sure you've updated your employer on your new state of residence so they can update your tax withholding information.

I hope that helps!

-Dennis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Moving

To add to Dennis' answer, be aware that Virginia and Washington DC have reciprocity for income tax. This means that if you live in Virginia and work in DC, you only pay tax in Virginia. So it sounds like for this year, you would have a part-year return in Illinois and a part-year return in Virginia. Going forward if nothing changes you would only need to file in Virginia.

Moving

Awesome! Thanks a lot… 

if I may, you read my post, the amount of money that I’m making, can you provide a recommendation of about how much extra money I need to come out of my check to ensure I won’t owe at the end of the year…

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Moving

There are a lot of variables to try to get a correct answer there. Are you referring to federal taxes or state taxes? Did you work in Illinois before moving? How much did you earn in Illinois, and how much taxes were withheld there? When do you start the job in DC? 

Moving

Your right. Info id have to share offline. Anyways thanks a million this was definitely helpful… 

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Moving

You're welcome dwinters1! Glad we could help.

For your Federal taxes you might want to try using TaxCaster: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

It can help you estimate if you're on the right track with sufficient withholdings. Have a great day and good luck at the new job!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies