turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage Grant on form 1099-MISC

Hello all.  I received a mortgage grant from my credit union when I bought my home.  I received a form 1099-MISC with this amount.  I've entered it as "other common income" form 1099-MISC on TurboTax, but it's dramatically increasing my federal tax due amount.  I suspect the system thinks it's self-employment income and is assuming I need to pay social security and medicare taxes on it.  Is this correct?  Is there another way I should be entering it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What box was the income reported in on the 1099-MISC?  This sounds like it may have been reported in box 3?

Is this a one-time payment (perhaps a rebate?) from your lender?  It does not sound like self-employment income.

You can view the tax return by following these steps.

• Down the left hand side of the screen, click Tax Tools.
  • Click Tools.
  • Click View Tax Summary in the center of the screen.
  • Click Preview my 1040.

Self-employment tax will be listed on line 15 of the 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was a one time grant given to me by the credit union as part of their program for first time homebuyers. 

It was indeed reported in box 3.

I think I figured out how to enter it so it's not charging me for SS or Medicare.  Thanks so much, fellow James!

prd0582
Returning Member

So you just enter it in box 3?  How do I know that I am not paying SS/Medicaid etc on it?  The amount I am getting reduced is large.  The grant I got was for $8,400 and it reduced what I was getting back by $1,937.  23% seems like I am paying all taxes on this as that is my tax bracket....

I tried the tax tools/tools/view tax summary like the other gentleman said my line 15 has the amount I am getting back.

prd0582
Returning Member

So you just enter it in box 3?  That is where I entered it.  How do I know that I am not paying SS/Medicaid etc on it?  The amount I am getting reduced is large.  The grant I got was for $8,400 and it reduced what I was getting back by $1,937.  23% seems like I am paying all taxes on this as that is my tax bracket....

I tried the tax tools/tools/view tax summary like the other gentleman said my line 15 has the amount I am getting back.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Look at your Schedule 2 line 4. 

That is where Self-Employment tax (FICA, Social Security ) would be listed if you entered the 1099-MISC as Self-employment income.

prd0582
Returning Member

No it isnt there either.  Line 4 is my itemize/standard deduction.  I am looking at the Tax Summary page.  I have no idea where the Schedule 2 line 4 is.  How do I get there?  Better yet, how/where do I enter the the grant for my down payment so I can ensure only federal taxes are taken out? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

To enter your mortgage grant follow these steps.

• With TurboTax open select  Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • On the next page, select Other reportable income
  • On the page, Other Taxable Income enter Mortgage Grant in the description. 

This will put the income on Schedule 1 Line 8 of your  Form 1040, as required by the IRS.  You will pay state and federal income tax on the amount, but it will not be subject to self-employment tax.

If you have entered the 1099-MISC for the mortgage grant you will have to remove it from your tax return.

To delete Form 1099-MISC follow these steps:

• With TurboTax open select Tax Tools in the left panel.
  • Select tools
  • Select delete forms
  • Select delete on the line for Form 1099-MISC
  • Select  Delete Selected Form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies