Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Is this an IRS issue or an Intuit issue?  It's pretty aggravating that this has been pushed back far enough where it's now holding me back from filing.  I also have the smart check throwing up a bunch of foreign tax related errors, and it's hard to tell which are errors I need to fix now and which are errors that will magically disappear when Form 1116 becomes available.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

I had posted earlier about getting hung up with the unavailable Form 1116, Deltiung the incomplete Form 1116 and going back to the "Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes" dialog seemed to work, but I wanted to be sure.

I redid my taxes from scratch. I do this just to make sure I get thru twice with the same answer. The second time, I got to the point where Turbotax asks "Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes" and there are three check boxes. I checked the first two, and it smoothly proceeded thru the next three screens and gave me the tax credit, with none of that chatter about the Form 1116 not being available. No form 1116 was generated either.

with that, I filed my taxes.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

But did you need to claim the foreign tax credit?  If you don't, then sure, you can just remove the form and proceed, but I need the form to actually claim the credit.

From this thread it's not clear whether this is an IRS issue or a TT issue.  The IRS website seems to have a Form 1116 available.

rifi
Level 4

Missing 2021 Form 1116

From this thread, what’s crystal clear is that that Intuit is responsible for this ongoing problem. It’s unequivocal. An example of “equivocal” would be to state that it “seems” Form 1116 is now available from the IRS. It has been available since early in the fourth week of January. TurboTax has been shifting the blame to the IRS - promulgating alternate facts. Creative hyperbole. 

klong2468
Returning Member

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Same situation here. In 2020, my foreign credit was small and Form 1116 was not needed. That return included Schedule 3 instead. This year, my foreign credit was small and Form 116 is also not needed but no Schedule 3 was added. Seems that Schedule 3 feeds to the credit line on Form 1040? What forms/lines did your credit appear on? This is the only thing keeping me from filing now.... Maybe I'll sell that stock and avoid the whole situation... or switch to other software as others have suggested. 

Missing 2021 Form 1116

I am using TurboTax Premiere (not business) on a desktop pc. No AMT as far as I can tell; Form 1116 is not available and I have about $1200 in foreign taxes on an international stock index mutual fund reported on a 1099-DIV form. My backup position if there is further delay is to purchase H&R Block's product for 2021 and completely stop using TurboTax for tax year 2021 and all future tax years. Intuit does not deserve my business.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

"Ready soon" is the date given under available to file by mail and available to e-file in my TurboTax Premiere pc software. This is rubbish.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

I was hoping that form 1116 capability would be available today, February 17, per the initial estimate. I see now that it got pushed back a week to the 24th. I've already waited two weeks to file my taxes because of this not being available. This is disappointing. I'm the type who likes to take care of responsibilities like this early. After using TurboTax for over 20 years, I tried H&R Block for the first time by the recommendation of some on this thread. I switched to them and filed my taxes through their software. I didn't find it as slick as Turbo Tax's software, but at least I was able to file. 

TL;DR: If you're like me and like to get your taxes done early, I recommend with others on this thread to use H&R Block. They independently derived the exact same tax refund that Turbo Tax did. I plan to use them in the future.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

If anyone is  wondering if I was able to to claim the credit, yes it was a $60 dollar credit and it did get applied to my taxes, after I navigated thru the Form 1116 maze.

I also like to get my taxes done as early as possible.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Dear Turbo Tax.  I have been a loyal customer for almost 10 years.  However, Your handling of Form 1116 is really starting to make me consider H&R Block.  Last year it has a bug, and I had to download the classic desktop software and make a manual change on my form so my return would be accepted.  This year, you continue to push back the date of the Form's availability. and I'm not confident that it will work once you do actually integrate the form.  

Missing 2021 Form 1116

We have a new update on date for our beloved Form 1116 being ready as the new date is now March 3rd!!!  So much for that refund by e-filing with all but that form ready. Keep checking the link below on availability and hope Turbo Tax does not continue to push this back as the value of the product is diminishing.  I agree it's disingenuous to pin this on the IRS.  A team with Intuit needs to make this a priority to quickly develop the Turbo Tax user interface for their clients to finish the Federal, State returns.  All is held up until this work is completed.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

So Lena posted two weeks ago and Sakhtar98, Form 1116 will be available to file on 2/17/2022 as per Federal Individual Form Availability Online and Federal Individual Form Availability Desktop.

@Sakhtar98

Missing 2021 Form 1116

This is getting ridiculous. We know that the IRS has finalized this form weeks ago, and competitor supports it. As far as I can tell, Intuit has done nothing but give bad estimates about its availability.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Any idea how I can get back to the "Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes" dialog?  I can not seem to back into it now that I a way past it.  I can not find it in personal income either.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Like klong2468, My credit is very small ($2) and related to a foreign index mutual fund.  In my case, it appears both on the background 1116 [do not file] and the 1116 worksheet I mentioned earlier, but also is the only entry on Schedule 3. Initially, I was getting the same delaying messages, but now, all is exactly as it has been on previous returns and I'm good to go. I certainly have no idea why all the others continue to have a problem, except that their returns and finances may be more complicated than ours.

Good luck to all.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

agreed - rather than saying "available soon" (i've been continually checking back since late January) it should just give us an approximate date, and then just update the date if the timing slides.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies