Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fmolasses
Returning Member

Minor son received lump-sum survivorship benefit payment (over $60k). Do I need to file a return for him?

Hello

My son is 14 years old and his mother passed away when he was 6. His social security survivorship benefit was only recently completed in 2021 and he received a lump sum back payment of over $60k. I know it wouldn't be included on my tax return, but I am the representative payee for him. Do I need to file a return for him with just this social security income? He doesn't have any other income besides this. 

Additionally, if I do file for him can I still claim him as a dependent?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Minor son received lump-sum survivorship benefit payment (over $60k). Do I need to file a return for him?

If survivor benefits are your son's only income, they are not taxable and he doesn't need to file a return.

For more Information please check: Irs.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fmolasses
Returning Member

Thank you. Does this not apply since he doesn't have any income?

If the total of (1) one half of the child's social security benefits and (2) all the child's other income is greater than the base amount that applies to the child's filing status, part of the child's social security benefits may be taxable. 

Because half the amount he received (30k) is more than the base amount (25k)

Since one half of the amount received is greater than $25,000, he will have to file a tax return this year. Here is a link from the IRS site.  social security survivor benefits for children

You will be able to claim him as a dependent as long a the following are true.

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them
  2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.
  3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
  4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
  5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies