turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married in August 2023

Me and my husband were married in Aug. 2023. When we fill out a new W-4- should we file jointly or separately? We both make $21/hr. I have 2 jobs but one of them is super part time (pays $16/hr). Do I fill out the multiple jobs section, since combined me and my husband technically work 3 jobs? Or do we not meet the income criteria, and should not do the "multiple jobs" form? We live in Oregon.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Ruth C-L
Employee Tax Expert

Married in August 2023

If you check the Multiple Jobs box on your spouse's part-time job W-4, it should ensure that you don't have too much in taxes withheld from your spouse's part-time. 

Married in August 2023

Hi Ruth, 

I am the one with the second job, but when I checked the multiple jobs option at first when I started that job, it took out an extremely high amount of taxes to the point where my paychecks were $0... I ended up correcting my W-4 to "single and not multiple jobs" because we weren't yet married and I had jumped the gun by a few weeks with filling out that form. Will this change when I fill out the form as married filing jointly + multiple jobs? It's been really unclear online, just looking for more guidance on the whole multiple jobs aspect. Also wondering if filing jointly is the best option for us now that we're married, but we both don't have super high incomes. Thanks. @Ruth C-L 

Ruth C-L
Employee Tax Expert

Married in August 2023

I'd say in 99% of circumstances absent a qualifying dependent for one of you where one of you could file head of household, it makes the most sense financially to file jointly. You could always fill out the W-4 and indicate you file jointly without checking the box for multiple jobs and see what happens. Another great tool to use would be the IRS Withholding estimator which will inform you exactly what to do with your W-4 forms: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

Married in August 2023

Okay, we will plan to file jointly. I am new to this, so does this mean we only fill out one form during tax season? Or do we both fill out forms? Sorry if that is a silly question. I will fill out the estimator and see what that estimates, thank you. 

Ruth C-L
Employee Tax Expert

Married in August 2023

When you file jointly, you just need to fill out one joint Form 1040 (saves you on tax prep fees too). All good to ask any tax-related question here, there are no silly questions 🙂

Married in August 2023

Thank you! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies