turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtax1
Returning Member

Mac was Wiped, how do I open/upload Past Years Files?

My Operating system was rebuilt and I no longer have the desktop versions loaded.  

I have the files with extensions. .tax2021, .tax2020 and .tax2019. 

I think that if I buy 2022,  it will find my prior year info, is that correct? 

I considered shifting to online version,  but it sounds like desktop is best.   Do you agree?   

Should/Can I reload the desktop 2021 software (without purchasing again)?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Did you buy the previous years' versions from Intuit?

If so, can you log in to the site at the link below?

https://accounts-tax.intuit.com/turbotaxdesktop

Yes you can Transfer the 2021 tax file ending in .tax2021 into 2022 program.  No problem there.  

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2021 to transfer into 2022. You don't need to install older programs unless you need to amend or you didn't save the pdf file.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

Are you still thinking about using the Online version?  Here's some info

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version. You need to have the prior year .tax2021 file on your computer. Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

Or here’s How to switch and transfer from the Desktop program into the Online version........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-cd-download-to-turbo...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and not like the online version. It has less features and no Forms Mode. The Online versions don't have all the same forms so you might have to upgrade to a higher Online version. You can only do 1 return. Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2022 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done. In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something. You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

jtax1
Returning Member

yes,  I did purchase from intuit,   and I can see my purchases listed there. 

do I need to and can I reinstall the prior years returns?   Maybe I should just reinstall 2021.  

Do you think that the download is preferable to the online version? 

Thanks

jtax1
Returning Member

Thank you for this response.   After considering your comments,  I think I should use the download version again for 2022.   (Since you said the download version has more features like the forms view,  I do switch to forms view  and like that feature.)     I do have the .tax2021 file on my computer.    I currently do not have any turbotax versions installed on the new computer.   I do not need to amend a prior year return.  I believe for this year I need to 1) download turbotax premier 2022 on computer.  2) follow instructions to find my .tax2021 file so that I will be able to compare this year and last year data.    

Does the above sound correct/appropriate to you?   

jtax1
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl

Thank you for this response.   After considering your comments,  I think I should use the download version again for 2022.   (Since you said the download version has more features like the forms view,  I do switch to forms view  and like that feature.)     I do have the .tax2021 file on my computer.    I currently do not have any turbotax versions installed on the new computer.   I do not need to amend a prior year return.  I believe for this year I need to 1) download turbotax premier 2022 on computer.  2) follow instructions to find my .tax2021 file so that I will be able to compare this year and last year data.    

Does the above sound correct/appropriate to you?   

Yes that's right.  You just need the file ending in .tax2021 to Transfer into 2022 program.  You do not need to have the 2021 program installed to transfer the .tax2021 file.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies