Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

Hi, thanks for confirming the answer.

The ABSOLUTE solution IS always allow.

I apologize, but it is a MAC security issue, and NOT a turbotax issue.

I have already helped over 5 customers with this problem, and since the first one, I tell them to EXACTLY follow the 3 steps;

1) reboot your mac.

(trust me, believe it or not, it helps!)

2) use your screensaver password

3) choose always save.

and that's it/

I’m m not sure how this could be a Mac security issue.  I have never ever seen this issue until this year with Turbo Tax 2022.  I have never ever set up my Turbo Tax to save my files securely with a password so there should be no reason Turbo Tax needs to access my keychain.  This has got to be a Turbo Tax issue since this is the only app that has ever done this.  And why Always Allow has to be selected and no errors when selecting the other options.  Too many people have complained for the Turbo Tax support line to be so clueless about this keychain problem.  They are not tech people but only read from a script.  In the past the support team seemed to know how to help but not this year.  It may be time for people to switch next year if Turbo Tax continues down this path.

anne
Level 2

thanks for the help! this worked for me as well!

cvidano

Incredible. Such an easy solution that I stumbled on after 2 hours of deleting keychain passwords, changing passwords, restarting, etc. I called Tech Support and then discovered your solution. Tech Support called me back and I told them I just solved the problem but that Intuit really needed to fix this. I worked for Intuit for 14 years (93-07) and really emphasized that Intuit needed to address this 'bug'. Told my support rep in jest, 'don't make me call Scott (I was there early enough to actually truly know Scott!) to get this fixed!' Thank you for posting this solution. Intuit said they are aware of the bug (only affects Mac) and have posted support docs on it but I never found them. They really gotta fix this...

There seems to be a work around but it is not clear to me that this does not create a security issue on my Mac. Maybe it doesn't, but I don't trust Intuit to say so (given their obvious incompetence). I am not even sure what I am allowing this software to do on my machine via the workaround. If (as I imagine there could be based on Intuit's seeming incompetence) there are security flaws in Turbotax, am I exposing myself by using this work around?

Why do I need to use a work around anyway for software that I bought "off the shelf"? It's not customized. This is off the shelf software that should have these major problems worked out prior to sale.

I have been unable to ascertain whether or not Intuit is even trying to fix this problem. No intuit person will say so - which I find incredible. Preparing taxes returns and paying taxes is not a fun experience. Turbotax is supposed to make it a little less painful. So far, they have made it much, much worse. 

Who would be the appropriate regulator here anyway? FTC? 

You know what would also be great is if they stopped sending that stupid "badge" to my email when I post on here. 

TurboTax Needs Keychain Password THIS IS THE ANSWER:

Go into MacintoshHD ... applications .... utilities .... keychain access.  Open the "keychain access" app.  Search for "intuit" and a few things will come up.  Click on one of them that says "application password."  Go to the "access control" tab. Select the bullet that says, "Allow all applications to access this item."  Obviously, you will probably need to know your mac password (or main keychain password) to make this change.  There are limits to my powers.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for your solution on this. @peterbcpa This will help others out within the community. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’ve been re-posting it in replies from time-to-time because people aren’t finding it. Not sure if there’s a way to solve that.

GAL7
Level 2

Same problem. Can someone restate the answer? Thanks. 

The key is to use your Mac password (not any Intuit one) AND - THIS IS CRUCIAL - don't hit "enter" or "return" but "always allow" - THAT IS WHAT FIXES THIS. 

What an ordeal and a simple fix, at least for me.

Well, said, squidlady:

short, to the point, and with the NECESSARY emphasis!

Once again, 

TurboTax Needs Keychain Password THIS IS THE ANSWER:

Go into MacintoshHD ... applications .... utilities .... keychain access.  Open the "keychain access" app.  Search for "intuit" and a few things will come up.  Click on one of them that says "application password."  Go to the "access control" tab. Select the bullet that says, "Allow all applications to access this item."  Obviously, you will probably need to know your mac password (or main keychain password) to make this change.  There are limits to my powers.

I don't doubt that THIS IS    A N    ANSWER

(making a change to allow access, using the Apple Keychain Access application).

But it seems to me to be much simpler to :

click on Menu>File

enter the password in the little box Apple pops up,

being careful to   not   press Enter,   nor   click Allow,

but to click   Always Allow.

What bic1 said on Jan 3, 2023  involving restarting my computer (Mac) worked!  How weird

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies