Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

This worked for me. Go to keychain and search for the password associated with the long key/name (just need a unique part, don’t need to type the whole thing) that comes up with the TT pop up asking to access your confidential keychain info. Click on the entry that search comes up with, and you should see a more detailed popup keychain window. You should see TT21 or earlier version listed as an app having access to that particular password. Since TT21 already has access, it shouldn’t hurt if you add TT22 to the list of applications that have access. Just follow the instructions from keychain. This is all done in keychain. 

Not sure if this will help, but after 2 frustrating days of having to see that message  (even when I said "deny"-- it would let me fill in info, but when I tried to save the file, the stupid message came up again-- and I could not get rid of it!!)I FINALLY figured out what to do - at least it helped me- hopefully will help you. Here is what I did--

First. like you I figured I did not have a keychain password set up -- turns out it is the password you use to sign onto your computer (I am guessing you have one?). BUT what happened with me is that I would hit "allow" enter my password, and then hit enter -- and the message stayed so I figured it was not accepting the password --so frustrating! What you have to do is hit "allow" (or "always allow") , fill in password and then hit "allow" again. Such a silly thing -- but so frustrating.

Hope this helps you and anyone else having the same frustrating issue. By the way, I am using a Mac (not sure if that matters).

Just curious as to why Turbo Tax had to do this. Can't they just ask a person to set up a password (which they do anyway -after the fact.

Hi-- not sure if this will help but I had the same problem (I think) -- I would be allowed to enter info but when I tried to save my file, that stupid message kept popping up-- and I could not get rid of it until I hit deny several times!!

I know this may sound silly as to what I was doing wrong (and I do hope it is the same with you)-- I was hitting "allow' entering my password and then I was hitting the ENTER button on my Mac and the message stayed, so I figured it was not accepting my password (I also tried several different passwords). Turns out what I should have done was hit "allow", enter password and then hit "ALLOW" again. Such a silly thing- but it actually worked for me-- after 2 frustrating days of seeing that stupid message!! Really hope it helps for you.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for providing what worked for you @JONID , as this may help others. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed the instructions on how to find the files in the keychain access app , tried hitting show password , it asked for password , so that was pointless … finally got frustrated right click and deleted the entire entry for Intuit and TurboTax instead of hitting her info , and it has stopped popping up for some time now so hopefully that fixed it atleast until I reboot. 

I get the same password prompt.  I don't think it's a Mac issue.  All other mac apps / websites work properly and pull the password from my Keychain.  It is only TurboTax that does this.  Every year has a different TurboTax problem.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please try to follow the workaround here, as this has been helping others. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance. @samuidavid8 @Taxpro2020 

How about listing the steps needed instead of providing a link?

The following steps (which were recommended by someone else in another post) seem to have solved this issue for me: (a) Restart the computer; (b) Start Turbotax and, when it asks for a keychain password, enter your computer screensaver or login password and click "always allow".

Thanks Critter-3.  Yes, that worked.   I was putting in the correct password, but I didn't select the "ALWAYS ALLOW" option.  I clicked another one.   First time ever I've been asked to enter my Apple Keychain Password for anything.   

Thanks Carissa.  Yes, that worked.   I was putting in the correct password, but I didn't select the "ALWAYS ALLOW" option.  I clicked another one.   First time ever I've been asked to enter my Apple Keychain Password for anything.   

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Happy to hear you were able to get it to work! Please let us know if you need additional assistance. @samuidavid8 

yes. it works. thanks so much.

tbechtx

WOW!  This worked for me too! Thanks!   I closed all my open apps, restarted the Mac and then upon the restart, I opened Turbo Tax 2022 and as soon as it opened I started a new tax return.  Then as soon as it was open I rolled my cursor over the File option in the menu. Then the infamous keychain message was displayed again.  I then entered my unlock password/login password for my machine and clicked the Always Allow button and it worked!  

Please note this solution (here is permalink for future resolutions) 

has been verified by me with at LEAST two different customers.

You MUST do it in order./

REBOOT

Start ttax

enter screensaver password.

and  always allow access to keychain..

hope this helps

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies