Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

Yes, after many frustrating moments, this is what worked for me! Thank you for reiterating. 

For those who still need help.  I went under keychain access.  I found the long keychain TurboTax was asking for.  When I clicked on it I went to "access control."  I then clicked on "remove confirm before allowing access."  Very frustrating but it now works for me.

This worked for me also. I had, in fact, entered my login password and hit <return>. Which, of course, selects the highlighted 'Allow' button. At the very least, the "Always Allow' needs to be the default, if the 'Allow' is only going to infinite loop back to the dialog box.

Can I ask why does TurboTax 2022 need this information?  I take it, this is asking for my MacOS login password.  I don't want to give that to TurboTax, then it as access to my stuff.  Is this the password to until my TT return?  If so, I want to type it in when I open it, not save it on my keychain.

Anybody?  

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

This could be the password that you originally saved in your Mac Keychain for TurboTax.  There are suggestions above within the thread on how to modify access to the Keychain. This might be helpful for your situation.  

If you need further assistance, please reach back out here in the thread.  

@GiannaFranco

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DLS417

Thanks, bic1!  Restart, computer login and "always allow" worked for me.  I never would have figured that out.

Suzybdoc

I don't use a keychain and don't want to use a keychain.  Just want me turbo tax password to work

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

What is the exact error you are getting when attempting to enter your password?  Please post here in the thread and we will be happy to help.  

@Suzybdoc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There was no *error*, per se.

My previous post outlines the problem I had; here it is, in better detail:

1. The dialog box comes up to enter your password.

2. Press <enter>

3. Dialog box goes away.

4. Goto 1

There is an option "Always Allow" that is not the default, and perhaps it should be. So, if you operate the computer like I do, that is:

[thinks] Oh it wants a password

[types] *password* <enter>

Then the password prompt dialog box pops back up, it is not intuitive what has gone wrong. It's likely that many users did not have the issue, since millions of people use TT.

As a thirty-five year professional software developer, it occurs to me that there may be a hitch in the testing giddy-up.

The best testers I ever knew have always found every way they could figure out to break your software. In the development pipeline. So issues like these can be addressed before it hits the street. I love that. I don't want my software to get out of the shop if the way it works it isn't intuitive.

Now, it's entirely possible that this was brought up in the development/testing pipeline, and the way it currently operates is by design, and the decision was made not to change it, if it got brought up in testing. That's OK, and that is why this forum is such a help. bic1 found an answer that helped many of us.

I was having the same problem, called support, was a waste of time. They had no clue what I was explaining to them. Tried selecting always allow after entering my keychain password and it worked.  Never had this in 2021, so what changed and why does Intuit not put some info out about this.  

Thank goodness for the Intuit/TurboTax message boards.   This is the solution and thank you so much for posting it.

The following steps (which were recommended by someone else in another post) seem to have solved this issue for me: (a) Restart the computer; (b) Start Turbotax and, when it asks for a keychain password, enter your computer screensaver or login password and click "always allow".  Good luck.

Entering the "screensaver password" and clicking "always allow" is not a solution. I shouldn't ever have to allow TT access to my confidential information.

This popup access request bug also appears when I click the FILE-tab dropdown options in the menu (meaning I can't pick a different file or save a file), and also when I try to enter my W-2 info by choosing the upload PDF option.

It takes clicking DENY three times to stop the popup from appearing. If try to access the FILE-tab dropdown options, e.g. try to save or close, the popup request pops up again and requires another three DENY clicks.  

No You are NOT insane! If you are, then so am I -exact same thing happening to me.

This is the last year I will use TT

rrnh
Level 1

I have tried everything suggested including deleting and reinstalling, restart the MacBook, opening TurboTax, no drop down message but I entered Forgot Password in the box asking for keychain. Nothing is working.  Intuit really F'D this up big time.

rrnh
Level 1

Finally, got it to work but accessing the long chain, clicking on access control and then clicking on: "Allow applications to access this item."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies