turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like another year without Release Notes

C'mon Intuit. It's not that hard! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Anonymous , sorry to say that of all the tax software I have used both professional and individual / diy type, none  have ever ( during the last 15 years ) published  release notes.  Or are you looking for user instructions ( some akin to a user manual )?  If you can tell me what issues you are facing using this software for personal  income tax return preparation, may be one of us can help.  I agree however that during my professional days , i often wished I had more information on the software and not  hunt around till I could figure how to achieve something. In that sense  TurboTax  with its  interview mode is quite easy to use  ( although even here there are areas takes a little figuring out ).  So help me  help you  -- tell me what you are trying to achieve, please .. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Champ,

I am referring to a summary of the changes to the software whenever a new version is released. What you described is not common. In the case of Turbo Tax, it would say something like 'the 1099B form was added'. Turbo Tax used to do have Release Notes and should go back to this practice. 

There is no 1099-B form in the program and the place where you enter that info is already in the interview so if you enter a stock sale and then go to the REVIEW tab it will tell you when that Sch D/form 8949 should be operational ... of course dates are always subject to change.   Of course the form 1099-B  will not be issued by your broker until sometime in February with corrected statements to follow in March.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was an example of what might be added with a new release. I am specifically talking about program updates with zero documentation to let us know what was updated 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a previous discussion for those of you that don't understand. There are plenty more of these posts.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/is-there-a-link-to-turbotax-2019-release-notes/00...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@pk Maybe this would help

Help with what? The only release notes you are going to get (purportedly, in the near future) are the ones that appear at the link below (which, basically, simply tell users that the program receives regular updates).

TurboTax 2020 release notes for Windows personal tax software (intuit.com)

If release notes are a deal-breaker, then you need to investigate DIY tax preparation programs offered by other software companies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tagteam Who said it was a deal breaker? Maybe you should familiarize yourself with why Release Notes are important. Intuit should 100% be utilizing these for TurboTax, Champ.

https://blog.testlodge.com/importance-of-writing-release-notes/

@Anonymous wrote:

@tagteam Who said it was a deal breaker? Maybe you should familiarize yourself with why Release Notes are important. Intuit should 100% be utilizing these for TurboTax, Champ.

Would you kindly explain why? I understand that you believe release notes are important (as do I, in fact), but it is simply not going to happen with respect to TurboTax.

Further, I stated if the lack is a deal-breaker, then a user should investigate alternatives. 

If users demanded release notes, then TurboTax would work on providing them.  I suspect it is just us old time former programmers who even know what the term means.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeorgeDenseff They did provide them up until a couple years ago. The funny thing is that Quicken has gotten better at doing this since Intuit sold them.  I really want to know what the changes are every time I get the Download Updates screen. Especially AFTER I've already filed my taxes. I shouldn't have to go into my tax return and look for things that may have changed (this does happen). 

Look closely at the screenshot below (read carefully). If you cannot determine why Intuit does not care about providing release notes to desktop users, I just do not have any idea how to further educate you.

Intuit.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tagteam Are you saying Intuit doesn't care about their desktop customers because they only have 200 Million in revenues from those. That's an odd statement and you're not very helpful. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@tagteam Are you saying Intuit doesn't care about their desktop customers because they only have 200 Million in revenues from those. 

Yes, that is what I am trying to convey; they care about the online customers (and those who use services, like Live) infinitely more than desktop customers. Why not? Online represents a huge percentage of the revenue - it dwarfs that from the desktop products.

@Anonymous wrote:

That's an odd statement and you're not very helpful. 

It is not an odd statement. Again, look at the numbers. Finally, there is absolutely nothing I can do to be helpful to you since you appear unwilling to accept the reality of the situation (which is that there will not be release notes for each update).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies