Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

loan from shareholder

In 2021, I had an LLC taxed as a partnership where the members (2) loaned the LLC $1200 total.  In 2022, I changed the LLC to be taxed as an S corporation.  In 2022, the LLC/S corp borrowed another $1000 total from the shareholders & was able to reimburse the shareholders the $1200 loan at the end of 2022.  How do I account for the $1200 loan that was reimbursed on the S corp tax?  TurboTax only asks remaining loan amount by end of 2022 (which is $1000); it doesn't ask for information of loan being reimbursed or original loan at start of the year.  TIA.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

loan from shareholder

If I understand correctly, the loan balance was $1,200 at the end of 2021. During 2022, the $1,200 was repaid and a new loan of $1,000 was taken.

On the balance sheet, at the end of 2021, line 19a of schedule L will show $1,200 and at the end of 2022, the same line will show $1,000,

The balance sheet only reflect the balance of the loan at year end. It does not reflect the movements. Only your books of account will show the movements.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

loan from shareholder

The loan repayment does not affect the profit of the S-Corp and is not reported on the K-1s of shareholders either.

The loan is a liability of the S-Corp which is reported on the balance sheet of the S-Corp (Schedule L of form 1120S). If the S-Corp is not required to include the balance sheet, then you will not see it at all.

loan from shareholder

Thank you for your reply, @MinhT1.

I understand that the loan from the shareholder does not affect the profit of the S corp.  However, I think your statement that the loan is not reported on the K1 is incorrect as I see TurboTax listing the $500 loan on each shareholder's K1 as "Loans from shareholder. . .End of tax year" on our K1.  There is no amount in "Beginning of Tax year" which is what I'm trying to fill out.

I understand that I don't have to fill out the balance sheet but, from all of my reviews, it has been recommended by tax attorneys & other CPA's to fill it out so I've been doing that for my LLC tax return.  Where, in Schedule L, would I account for the $1200 that was loaned by the shareholder/members in 2021 & reimbursed to the same shareholders/members in 2022?  Since I did account for the loan in my 2021 1065 tax return which does show "$600 nonrecourse loan from shareholder at end of tax year," I want to make sure that the amount is accounted for in my 1120S return so that the IRS doesn't wonder what happened to the loan.  Thank you.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

loan from shareholder

If I understand correctly, the loan balance was $1,200 at the end of 2021. During 2022, the $1,200 was repaid and a new loan of $1,000 was taken.

On the balance sheet, at the end of 2021, line 19a of schedule L will show $1,200 and at the end of 2022, the same line will show $1,000,

The balance sheet only reflect the balance of the loan at year end. It does not reflect the movements. Only your books of account will show the movements.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies