turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

J1 Visa Substantial Presence Test - Can I use TurboTax

Hi,

I was working for one year in the states as an intern. During that time I had a J1 visa. I just received my W2 and started with Sprintax. But because I think I passed the Substantial Presence Test (more than 183 days in the states)  I couldn't continue in Sprintax because it told me that I count as a US resident only for tax purposes. I thought whoever has a J1 visa has an exemption and still count as a non-resident alien for the first 2 years working in the states. I'm back now in my home country and was wondering if I can still use TurboTax for my tax return 2019 or not. And if you could explain if I'm a resident-alien for tax purposes only or a non-resident alien. In any case I cannot use Sprintax unfortunately. 

I don't know if I should also mention it but I used to study in the states for 6 months in 2015. But didn't work at that time and had a F1 visa.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot use the TurboTax software to complete your 2019 taxes. You will need to use Sprintax to file a Form 1040NR.  If you have questions you can contact Sprintax Help for assistance.

In 2019 you were still considered a non-resident alien for tax purposes because as a student or intern, holding a J-1 or a F-1 Visa you can not count the days present in the United States for up to five calendar years from when you first entered the U.S. J-1 Visa 5-Year Rule  F-1 Visa 5-Year Rule

You said in your question you first studied in the United States in 2015. Under the five year exemption for those holding a J-1 or F-1 Visa you would not be able to count days present toward the Substantial Presence Test until January 1, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot use the TurboTax software to complete your 2019 taxes. You will need to use Sprintax to file a Form 1040NR.  If you have questions you can contact Sprintax Help for assistance.

In 2019 you were still considered a non-resident alien for tax purposes because as a student or intern, holding a J-1 or a F-1 Visa you can not count the days present in the United States for up to five calendar years from when you first entered the U.S. J-1 Visa 5-Year Rule  F-1 Visa 5-Year Rule

You said in your question you first studied in the United States in 2015. Under the five year exemption for those holding a J-1 or F-1 Visa you would not be able to count days present toward the Substantial Presence Test until January 1, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies