turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's hard to trust what the irs is telling us over the phone due to scripted answers. Why are we really having to wait longer this year even with efile?

I had no answers from them as to why we didn't get either stimulus. We qualify and file married separately. We both lost work last year, 4 children and are struggling harshly. We work now but we need the money we are rightly entitled to. Refund alone would be a dramatic help. Does anyone have any real info as to what is taking longer with them this year? I mean even if they are working from home that's not an excuse anymore.... Hello technology
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SamS1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

It's hard to trust what the irs is telling us over the phone due to scripted answers. Why are we really having to wait longer this year even with efile?

Hard to say why its taking longer.  There are many issues that can delay refunds, including ones over which the IRS has no control. Here are the top three categories:

Administrative requirements

• Earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit -  If you filed in February or earlier and claimed either of these credits, the 2017 PATH Act requires processing to be delayed.  The IRS just recently started releasing these refunds
  • Refund Offset -  The IRS may have discovered you have delinquent debts, which they're legally required to deduct from your refund. You'll receive a notice about the offset.

Missing, inconsistent, or suspect information

• The IRS found errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return. For example, you and a former spouse both claimed the same child as a dependent.
  • The return is under review, which can happen randomly.
  • The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.

Delivery glitches

• Your refund check could just be delayed in the mail. The reason could be as simple as a new postal carrier learning your route.
  • Electronic payments may be delayed by bank transfer and posting issues.

Keep checking Where's my refund and Get my payment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

SamS1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Hard to say why its taking longer.  There are many issues that can delay refunds, including ones over which the IRS has no control. Here are the top three categories:

Administrative requirements

• Earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit -  If you filed in February or earlier and claimed either of these credits, the 2017 PATH Act requires processing to be delayed.  The IRS just recently started releasing these refunds
  • Refund Offset -  The IRS may have discovered you have delinquent debts, which they're legally required to deduct from your refund. You'll receive a notice about the offset.

Missing, inconsistent, or suspect information

• The IRS found errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return. For example, you and a former spouse both claimed the same child as a dependent.
  • The return is under review, which can happen randomly.
  • The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.

Delivery glitches

• Your refund check could just be delayed in the mail. The reason could be as simple as a new postal carrier learning your route.
  • Electronic payments may be delayed by bank transfer and posting issues.

Keep checking Where's my refund and Get my payment.

if you did not get the EIP1 or EIP2 , put the amount you did not get on your form 1040 line 30.

That's the only way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies