Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vmasseo
Returning Member

ISO stock options income shown on W2 and being reported on 1099B - why am I being taxed twice?

I exercised ISO shares selling shares in order to buy shares same day and didn't receive any cash - just sold enough shares to buy shares. The proceeds were included in my W2 as income in box 1, so I have to pay ordinary income tax on that money. But, I also received a 1099B from the brokerage and when I enter that into TurboTax for the ISO's, it looks like I'm being taxed a second time on the capital gains for the same amount I was taxed on my W2. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

ISO stock options income shown on W2 and being reported on 1099B - why am I being taxed twice?

When you enter the information for the sale of the stock, in the Investment Section of TurboTax, your basis in the stock is the same amount as the proceeds you received.  This shows that there was no gain/loss on the sale of the stock.

The information needs to be reported in both sections of TurboTax.

Incentive Stock Options

@vmasseo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vmasseo
Returning Member

Thanks, Diane. The cost basis on the 1099B shows as $30k (just rounding to make this simple). The Proceeds are showing as $80k, so technically, a capital short-term gain of $50k. The income being reported on the W2, related only to the ISO sale, shows as $50k. I essentially exercised 3,000 ISO shares selling 1,300 of these shares in order to buy the remaining 1,800 to hold. The broker sold just enough to cover the price of buying 1,800 shares for me to hold and the Fed and States taxes due. In addition to the taxes I've already paid on the W2 income of $50k, do I also have to pay Capital Gains tax on the exercise of these options?

fred4

Not an expert, but going through the same thing now. What is it showing under the Gain(Loss) column? Mine adjusted for the W2 reported income from the ISOs. The adjustment occurred after I entered the form 3921 provided by my employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies